• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 resolution issues while saving PSD as PNG

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On PS CS6 a psd file has 4500X5400 pix and 300 ppi. when saving to PNG and reading the file the 4500X5400 remain ok but the PPI changed to 299.999.

this happened suddenly, since i could save PNG in 300PPI in the past.

anything might changed in photoshop parameters/preferences/scripting fils???? any ideas???

please help i need my files to be save as 300 PPI for my work.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using Image size with resample NOT check set 300 DPI print resolution click OK.  The number of pixels will not change if yoy do not resample. Record an action set 300 dpi.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i did try to uncheck the resample, did not help.

this issue happen suddenly and my guess is that something what wrong with photoshop. i read that scripting may be changed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just normal rounding. Ppi isn’t exact in PNG because it’s metric. Try not to worry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good advice from Test Screen Name.

PNG can only store resolution in dots per meter (dpm)

It's an Imperial (dpi) to metric (dpm) conversion that takes place. PNG format resolution is captured as dots per meter. When dpi is converted to dpm floating point math is done by Photoshop. This is not 100% accurate.

300 dpi is approx 11811 dpm

11811 dpm translates299.9994 dpi

You can try this yourself at Convert dot/meter [dot/m] <—> dot/inch [dpi] • Photometry — Light • Digital Image Resolution • Compa...

There is a minuscule difference between 300 and 299.99 dpi. Practically indiscernible.

Don't lose sleep over it.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, i already read all about the ppi dpi metric inches conversion but the thing is that a week ago i did not have any problem saving PNG with 300 ppi and now i have a problem.

somehow Photoshop is messed up and i don't  know how to correct it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is that i post my work to a service that reject anything that is not 300 ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quite honestly this makes little sense and these people can't know what they're asking for. What they should be asking for is minimum pixel dimensions. That's the only meaningful parameter.

That a print has to be 300 ppi is just a myth, maintained by people who don't know what it means. 300 ppi is a theoretical upper limit for offset print, beyond which no improvement is technically possible (if printed with a standard 150LPI screen). But that doesn't mean you can see any difference between 300 and 290.

It doesn't apply for inkjet. Each inkjet printer has its own optimal resolution - in Epson it's usually 360 ppi.

Anyway - PNG being metric means they will probably never get a PNG that is exactly 300.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you actually tried your service?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, nothing is messed up. I asked, did you actually try your service (that supposedly will reject your PNG)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines