• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere CS5.5 with New GTX 1070

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a problem after buying a Geforce GTX 1070 to use with Premiere CS5.5.  I am getting intermittent stuttering on my 1080p video footage.  I just replaced the 1070 from a ATI Radeon RX 580, where I had NO stuttering issues or frame drops, but the reason I switched was to get the Mercury Accelerated GPU setting.  What could be happening here?  I'm using the latest Nvidea drivers (uninstalled and reinstalled them, with no change) and like I said, it was fine with the Radeon card.

Here is my rig:

Dell Inspiron 5675

Ryzen 7, 1700, 8 core, 16 thread CPU

24 gb RAM

GTX 1070 GPU 8Gb VRAM

WD Black M.2 250GB SSD for OS and APPS

WD Blue 1TB for Preview and Media CACHE files

WD Green 3TB for project files and video footage

I thought maybe my drives were too slow, so I tried creating a small project all on my SSD drive with just a few clips, with same result.  I only edit with 1080 footage, no 4K at all.

Could it be CS5.5 Premiere itself?  Too old a version for the GTX 1070?  I can't download the CC Premiere because my trial ran out last week.

Any help you might be able to offer, would be very much appreciated.  Thanks!

Joe

filmakr1

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from Premiere Pro NEW to Premiere Pro OLD... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know how well that new card will work with that old version, but at that time, there was a GPU text file somewhere that listed the GPU's that the program would use. You need to find that file, and add your card the same as it's listed in the OS Hardware settings/listing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your nVidia card has at least 1Gig of video ram, use the nVidia Hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557 - which is a simple entry in a "supported cards" file, this is for CS6 and CS5, the file is not used by PPro Cloud

Check your Windows Control Panel, or right click in the Desktop and select the NVidia line, to be sure you enter the card name EXACTLY as Windows sees it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both, Neil and John.  Yes, I should have mentioned that I did add my GTX1070 to the cuda_supported cards txt file and saved it.  Still same issue afterward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So your settings screen is now showing that your card is activated and being used?

Cuda.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is.  Exactly that.  Even getting the yellow line for accelerated rendering.  But playback stutters ... not badly, but visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>WD Green 3TB for project files and video footage

Is that a 5400rpm drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WD Green drives are 5400 RPM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could that be the problem here?  Two 5400RPM drives with a GTX1070?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5400 RPM drives are too slow. You need at least 7200 in a spinning drive, 10,000RPM, or SSD.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is, why did it work flawless with my former Radeon RX 580?  Does the GTX 1070 put that much more strain on my drives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

filmakr1  wrote

The question is, why did it work flawless with my former Radeon RX 580?

Maybe the weakest link is now the drive, whereas before the weakest link was the graphics card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's GPU Sniffer definitely seeing my GTX 1070.

GPU Sniffer.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what's going on while I'm playing clips-- two video layers, three audio tracks-- off the timeline, and seeing stuttering frames. CPU 20%, Ram 6.8GB, GPU 11%.  Disc X is where my footage and project files live, Disc F (2%) is where my Media Cache is.  Nothing looks like it's struggling at all, certainly not my drives.

Task Manager.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the best real-world testing of your machine, go to Bill Gehrke's site, download his PPBM test file, unzip it, install the loggers, create a project with the short sequence & its media that's included, and export.

It's designed to rag out your computer's systems in a known fashion with a known sequence/effects, and log the disc, CPU, RAM, GPU, all of that. And when analyzed, you get a complete and correct view of how your machine is running, and comparisons available to a ton of other gear. And Bill's awesome advice.

Then you'll know if something can be adjusted/tuned, if maybe you've got a media or workflow issue, whatever. And of course, the hardware page is where the talk is more technical-driven.

Neil

Tweaker's Page ... http://ppbm8.com/index.html

Hardware Forum ... https://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have finally gotten a Premiere Pro 5.5 old system working and tomorrow will try to see if my GTX 1060 works with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank Bill, I just submitted my test to your Premiere Benchmark Tool site.  Here were my numbers:

Premiere Bench.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, this test was  NOT done with my usual Premiere CS5.5, as your tool only begins with CS6, and wouldn't open my 5.5 program.  so I downloaded the latest Premiere CC trial and used that with the Premiere 12 options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the latest Nvidea drivers

That could also be an issue, roll back a driver or maybe two. Pr5.5 is pretty old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that Pr12 effort.which I also got also from your submittal to me.

Looking at #3 above which is 282/22 your CPU a Ryzen 7-1700X.  The CPU intensive 282 seconds is a possibly a little high, but not much, and the GPU intensive score for a GTX 1070 is pretty much what I am seeing for a GTX 1070.. 

Your export disk probably was your 1TB hard disk drive

I have Premiere Pro 5.5 up and running with my GTX 1060, I still have to recreate any of the PPBM tests cto run on it which is not easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again, Bill and everyone else.  Well, in utter frustration, after trying every possible scenario both using Premiere CS5.5 and the latest CC Premiere trial, and experiencing the same file drops and stutters-- oh, and rolling back and trying four or five older Geforce drivers, going all the way back to 2016, I've unistalled everything, replaced my GTX 1070 back with my original AMD Radeon RX 580.  And eveything is normal again, no frame drops, no stutter.  I'm beginning to think the card is bad. Don't know what  else to suspect.  But with this AMD card, using Premiere 5.5, there is no GPU hardware acceleration available, and that was the whole point in getting the GTX 1070.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have to wonder if, no matter the driver, there is some basic incompatibility between that 5 (ish) year old program and a much newer card with an architecture that was not available when CS5.5 was written

I have CS6 working properly with an MSI 2Gig GTX760, but that card is an older design (built my computer July 2014) so, of course, what I have working is not at all the same as your card

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I finally finished a  PPBMish CPU/GPU type of test on my Premiere Pro 5.5 with my GTX 1060 6 GB and it worked beautifully. I have to gather some detail.but where the OP got 282/22 seconds with his system running CC and a GTX 1070 and I got 330/28 seconds with PR 5.5 and my GTX 1060.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, then would could it be?  Like I said I was running both Premiere CS5.5 AND the latest Premiere CC trial, with the same stuttery results.  So I've tried rolling back drivers, trying them  on both versions of old and new Premiere. I also thought maybe I was drawing too much GPU on multiple monitors ('I'm running 3, but only 2 for Premiere) so I disabled the external monitor(s), with same bad results.  I went back to my AMD Radeon card, and it all works great.  I have 24 GB Ram with a Ryzen 1700 8 core, 16thread machine.  Today, I just put in a WD Black 4TB drive for my camera media, upgraded from a WD green, and still ,same result.  My OS and Premiere App is on a WD Black m.2 NVME SSD drive.  I'm barely breaking 30% use on either, CPU, GPU or RAM when I play the timeline that drops frames. 

Could it be I'm drawing too much power from my PSU with the GTX 1070?  It's the proprietary 450W PSU that Dell shipped.  Could I be going over power limits?  What would be the symtoms?  It wouldn't be dropping frames, right?  Wouldn't it be more like system crashing?

By the way, I contacted Nvidia about possibly replacing the card, they asked me if i'm having problem playing games, since they claim Adobe Premiere is not officially approved for the GTX 1070, so I downloaded some game demos (I don't play games, so wasn't sure what else to try) and the demos played without dropping frames.  I give up.  Why doesn't my system like this damn GeForce GTX 1070?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

filmakr1  wrote

Could it be I'm drawing too much power from my PSU with the GTX 1070?  It's the proprietary 450W PSU that Dell shipped.  Could I be going over power limits?  What would be the symtoms?  It wouldn't be dropping frames, right?  Wouldn't it be more like system crashing?

You may have found the problem, the nVidia recommended power supply is a 500 watt unit and Dell is not known for being generous with ratings.  And yes overloading the power supply could be affecting for instance the CPU voltage which could cause that problem.

Any chance that you could swap that GTX 1070 rated at 150 watts for a GTX 1060 at 120 watts?  You might check with the GPU manufacturer to see what they rate  the power consumption.  Also find out the power consumption of your AMD card.

Also I see you have your OS/Applications on a WD Black m.2 NVME SSD which I consider wasting a good super speed SSD.  If you cloned that drive to a standard SATA III SSD and then used the high speed of the M.2 NVME for your project and media files you would improve performance significantly.  (This is over and above your GPU frame loss problem)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines