1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 29, 2018 12:24 PM by Jim_Simon

ReEdit Audition Mixdown AFTER adding / removing footage in Premiere?

monzilla888

I've been trying to find this answer for a long time. Please can someone help.

Once I get to what I think is a finished sequence in Premiere, I will edit the audio from that sequence in Audition via dymanic link. I love it and it works great. Then of course, once the editing in Audition is done, I send it back to Premiere as a new audio track. - Done, I understand that.

BUT, sometimes, the client has revisions to the piece, so I'm having to add or remove footage to the Premiere sequence, thus I need to adjust the audition file which I previously created with applied effects.

Currently, the only way I know how to do this, is delete the old Audition mix down, do all my required edits to the Premiere sequence, then send a new version of the sequence to Audition - the problem with this is I lose all my effects, and any other adjustments I made in Audition the first time. And I lose a tremendous amount of time and energy because I have to start all the way over with the audio mix!!

I hope this make sense. This drives me crazy. There has got to be a faster work around, because I know I'm not alone. Clients want revisions, even when we think it's complete.

Please help! I'll pay someone to guide me to this answer.

• 1. Re: ReEdit Audition Mixdown AFTER adding / removing footage in Premiere?
          Jim_Simon Level 9

Now you see the flaw in the current system.  It's unusable unless you get picture lock, the ability to say "No, there will not be any more changes.".

If you don't get that picture lock, then the Audition work flow is untenable as currently designed.

What's needed here is for Audition to become a fully non-destructive editor, reading the original audio files used in PP, doing all it's work via metadata that can be "applied" for listening either in Audition or in PP, either in realtime or via previews.

Until that happens, Audition is just not a practical tool for video work.

(On a side note, the way I describe it is exactly how the new Fairlight DAW works in Resolve 14, which can be had for free.)