14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2008 9:10 AM by thegendreamer

Need Help With Fireworks 4

Grim107
      I've been following some step by step instructions on how to create a certain picture. Doing so requires me to use an old dos program along with a more recent photo editing program. The person who wrote the example uses Photoshop. He says that the colors need to be changed to "Index," but only states how to do so in Photoshop. Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to do this in Fireworks?
        • 1. Re: Need Help With Fireworks 4
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
          Hey Grim107, there is no Fw workflow equivelent to what it is you are following in that tutorial process, mainly because Fw is not Color (Space) Managed like Ps is.

Index basically, refers to one of Ps Color Spaces, upon which can be created for any new document, or same document conversion (on the fly).

Do you have a link to this tutorial?

h

• 2. Re: Need Help With Fireworks 4
            Level 7
            heathrowe wrote:
            > Hey Grim107, there is no Fw workflow equivelent to what it is you are following
            > in that tutorial process, mainly because Fw is not Color (Space) Managed like
            > Ps is.
            >
            > Index basically, refers to one of Ps Color Spaces, upon which can be created
            > for any new document, or same document conversion (on the fly).
            >
            > Do you have a link to this tutorial?
            >
            > h
            >
            >
            >

You can export the file as GIF file which is indexed color. Then just
            open the new version. Maybe that will help.

If you can post a link to the tutorial, maybe we can come up with
            something more detailed.

--
            Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
            http://www.communityMX.com/
            CommunityMX - Free Resources:
            http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
            ---
            .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
            Adobe Community Expert
            http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
            ---
            See my work on Flickr
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
            • 3. Re: Need Help With Fireworks 4
              Grim107 Level 1
              Here's the link to the online tutorial. http://www.indylc2.com/tutorial.html.
              To make things more clear, if I try to import the picture into Deluxe Paint II (the Dos program), it will say that it needs to be a .iff file. I assume that making the colors Index has something to do with this.
              I'm saying this as I'm installing Photoshop 4.0 on my computer (can you believe that I actualy own a copy of this stuff)? I'm going to see if I can just import it into Photoshop and see if I can do it that way. If you can't figure out an easier way to do it, do you think you can give me instructions on how to do it in Photoshop (assuming that the version I have has a different way to change the colors to index)?

Thanks. It would be greatly appreciated.
              • 4. Re: Need Help With Fireworks 4
                Level 7
                Grim107 wrote:
                > Here's the link to the online tutorial. http://www.indylc2.com/tutorial.html.
                > To make things more clear, if I try to import the picture into Deluxe Paint II
                > (the Dos program), it will say that it needs to be a .iff file. I assume that
                > making the colors Index has something to do with this.
                > I'm saying this as I'm installing Photoshop 4.0 on my computer (can you
                > believe that I actualy own a copy of this stuff)? I'm going to see if I can
                > just import it into Photoshop and see if I can do it that way. If you can't
                > figure out an easier way to do it, do you think you can give me instructions on
                > how to do it in Photoshop (assuming that the version I have has a different way
                > to change the colors to index)?
                >
                > Thanks. It would be greatly appreciated.
                >
                I think this is all quite do-able in FW. Question is, what is your final
                use for the image? Does it need to be 8-bit?

--
                Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                http://www.communityMX.com/
                CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                ---
                .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                Adobe Community Expert
                http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
                ---
                See my work on Flickr
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
                • 5. Re: Need Help With Fireworks 4
                  Grim107 Level 1
                  Okay. Here's the new issue. Photoshop installed successfuly, but my version doesn't let me save as a .pcx. What I did is I wen't to a file conversion site and converted it into a .pcx. It converted successfuly, but Deluxe Paint II still says that it can't be opened. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My guess is that I'd need to convert the file to a .iff (the message that pops up says "This file is not a .iff file, and personaly, I have no idea why the tutorial says to convert to .pcx). I can't find any converters that would convert to .iff. If you guys don't think that it's something else, can you possibly give me the name of a free converter that will allow the outcome to be a .iff?
                  • 6. Re: Need Help With Fireworks 4
                    pixlor Level 4
                    Grim,

You can really use any program you want to follow the ideas of the tutorial. I'm guessing, but I think the reason the tutorial author is worried about index color and 256-color palettes is that the DOS program can probably can only handle 256 colors at a time - simply because it's an old DOS program. With modern programs, you don't really need to worry about that.

You can certainly make room scenes like this in Fireworks easily. You can draw your background with the line drawing tool if you want. Then, for walls, floor, and ceiling, make rectangles, but use the distort tool to modify the shape for perspective.

To make the rug on the floor, you can make an image that would be the rug viewed from directly above, then bring it into your Fireworks image and use the distort tool to adjust the shape of the image for perspective. (The distort tool is just under the selection tool.) Same thing for maps: find maps and use the distort tool to get the size and perspective right.

Also, with Fireworks, you can put different sets of objects on different layers to make it easier to keep track of stuff and work with things. For instance...put all the objects for the back wall on one layer. Then, when you have that all set, hide that layer so it doesn't distract you while you work on the floor.

Anyway...that's my recommendation.

Good luck!
                    • 7. Re: Need Help With Fireworks 4
                      Grim107 Level 1
                      Bump.

Still searching for a good answer. I need to be able to save it as a .pcx extension, but my version of Photoshop is too old to support that. Does anyone know of any plug-ins I can get that will do this?
                      • 8. Re: Need Help With Fireworks 4
                        pixlor Level 4
                        quote:

Originally posted by: Grim107
                        Bump.

Still searching for a good answer. I need to be able to save it as a .pcx extension, but my version of Photoshop is too old to support that. Does anyone know of any plug-ins I can get that will do this?

You can use IrfanView to convert to .pcx. Download from the IrfanView Web site. It's freeware.
                        • 9. Re: Need Help With Fireworks 4
                          Grim107 Level 1
                          Great idea Pixlor, but the fact that I'm writing back means that sadly, it didn't work. I have no idea why it said in the tutoial to save as a .pcx, but my problem doesn't lay there. I need a website/freeware program that will convert the file to either a .iff, or a .lbm. It's not going to be easy to find one for obvious reasons. For now, I'm going to see how easy it is to draw it all on Deluxe Paint II.

By the way, if anyone knows of any Fireworks 4 or Photoshop 4 plug-ins that will save them as a .Iff or .LBM estension, please let me know.

Thanks.
                          • 10. Re: Need Help With Fireworks 4
                            pixlor Level 4
                            quote:

Great idea Pixlor, but the fact that I'm writing back means that sadly, it didn't work. I have no idea why it said in the tutoial to save as a .pcx, but my problem doesn't lay there. I need a website/freeware program that will convert the file to either a .iff, or a .lbm. It's not going to be easy to find one for obvious reasons. For now, I'm going to see how easy it is to draw it all on Deluxe Paint II.

By the way, if anyone knows of any Fireworks 4 or Photoshop 4 plug-ins that will save them as a .Iff or .LBM estension, please let me know.

Thanks.

Google is your friend Search for iff extension

These two returns look like possibilities: Image ConverterPlus
                            Amiga formats page, scroll down to the section on "Conversion Tools."

Good luck!
                            • 11. Re: Need Help With Fireworks 4
                              Grim107 Level 1
                              Pixlor, I appreciate the help, but I've tried Image Converter Plus, and it only has the ability to read .iff/.lbm formats. It doesn't have the ability to convert to them. The other one I checked on the Amiga site used a .idf format, and I have no idea what it is, or how to open it. I should probably just leave it alone, not wanting to infect my computer anymore by downloading some program that can read .idf. I'm going to try the second link under their conversion section, but chances are, It's also a .idf, and I haven't even read what it's used for yet (weather it's an image converter). Thanks for the help, but I'm going to need more sites/programs.
                              • 12. Re: Need Help With Fireworks 4
                                pixlor Level 4
                                quote:

Thanks for the help, but I'm going to need more sites/programs.

Well, then, take the link for the Google search and look around. I took a couple of links that seemed likely to me. If they won't do for you, then you, as the person with the desire to produce the files, should check stuff out for yourself. I don't know what you need, so it doesn't make any sense for me to take link after link and post them for you individually to check out when Google does that better than I can.

Good luck!
                                • 13. Re: Need Help With Fireworks 4
                                  Level 7
                                  On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 21:11:07 +0400, Grim107 <webforumsuser@macromedia.com>
                                  wrote:

> Pixlor, I appreciate the help, but I've tried Image Converter Plus, and
                                  > it only
                                  > has the ability to read .iff/.lbm formats. It doesn't have the ability to
                                  > convert to them.

It seems to me that XnView from xnview.com can write Amiga IFF format (I
                                  assume you are talking about that sort of IFF files).

What as to your request for plugin, sorry, FW 4 certainly does not support
                                  plugins of import/export kind. It only supports filter plugins. Well, in
                                  theory, someone can write a plugin which, formally, will be of "filter"
                                  kind, but actually perform export function (I did it with one of my own
                                  plugins), but I wouldn't expect it much in reality.

--
                                  Ilya Razmanov
                                  http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
                                  • 14. Re: Need Help With Fireworks 4
                                    thegendreamer
                                    Yes I think that is the problem too