8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2009 4:55 AM by Allen_Partridge-1MiBZx

Just a small 3D project I have completed

Level 7
      Here you are:

www.ziggi.pl/other/abg

The interface is pretty self-explanatory (it's in Polish language):

bottom bar buttons will send you to HTML pages - only far right "POWROT"
      button is providing universal "BACK" feature.

I think lightmaps are pretty nice :-)

Rgs,
      Ziggi
        • 1. Re: Just a small 3D project I have completed
          mziskandar Level 1
          hey... thats nice... i love this clean color scheme... :)
          • 2. Re: Just a small 3D project I have completed
            Level 7
            Very nice Ziggi.

regards
            Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
            http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
            email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 3. Re: Just a small 3D project I have completed
              Production Monkey Level 3
              I agree. Nicely done.

Are the scrolling text panes part of the 3D world or are you sliding 2D sprites over the 3D sprite?
              • 4. Re: Just a small 3D project I have completed
                Level 7
                Production Monkey wrote:
                > I agree. Nicely done.
                >
                > Are the scrolling text panes part of the 3D world or are you sliding 2D sprites over the 3D sprite?

All the visual stuff is inside 3D castmember for performance reason.

BTW - the frustrating downside of 3D in Director is missing overlays
                mouse interactivity. The workaround is to make 3D member direct-to-stage
                and set some normal (2D) sprites in higher numbered sprite channels.
                They can capture mouse events and steer 3D overlays underneath. But this
                is a bit confusing and unnecessary. The best of all would be to
                implement real interactive overlays withing 3D castmember in the next
                realease of Director. I would say: interactive overlays hoding user data
                as regular 3D objects. That would simplify coding a lot !!!

This is my contribution to Director wishlist. What is your opinion on
                the subject?

Please notice - overlays have a great advantage over plane meshes in
                case of presenting visual information: they do not need any mipmapping
                or filtering to render textures properly, they remain unaffected by
                camera's field of view (perspective distortion). They only disadvantage
                is missing mouse interactivity in fact, what makes it difficult to code
                intefaces.

Rgs,
                Ziggi
                • 5. Re: Just a small 3D project I have completed
                  Interesting. The text is very sharp, so I thought perhaps you were up to something.

I would have taken a different approach to mouse interactivity. I have created cascading menus inside 3D sprites using overlays, and mouse interactivity was handled by monitoring the mouse position using a timeout object.

I'm not saying that technique is better than your solution. It is just how I handle situations when Director does not provide an event for the....err.. event I want to capture.. Now that I think about it, one could create a generalized 3D event object that enables other events to register with it, as in "addEventListener()".

Hmmm. May have to give that some thought when I have some time.
                  • 6. Re: Just a small 3D project I have completed
                    Level 7
                    Hi !

You know - I am also not saying your solution is better or worse but I
                    am just sensitising you on production efficiency:

1) Hotspots positons/sizes/shapes may be adjusted frequently due to
                    customer changing his/her mind.

2) Hotspots may be animated or change size and shape dynamically

3) Hotspots may be constrained to some objects and these objects may
                    also be animated and changes size/shape

etc.

All these factors promote regular sprites being used on top of DTS 3D
                    castmember - you have all C++ native mechanisms to control them and in
                    authring you may switch DTS off and controll all the staff manually and
                    inspect visually what speeds-up development process.

I would say your solution is perfect for standardized interface elements
                    like drop-down lists or cascading, code-generated menus.

My solution is better for non-standard or "custom" interface elements.

Regards,
                    Ziggi

Production Monkey wrote:
                    > Interesting. The text is very sharp, so I thought perhaps you were up to
                    > something.
                    >
                    > I would have taken a different approach to mouse interactivity. I have created
                    > cascading menus inside 3D sprites using overlays, and mouse interactivity was
                    > handled by monitoring the mouse position using a timeout object.
                    >
                    > I'm not saying that technique is better than your solution. It is just how I
                    > handle situations when Director does not provide an event for the....err..
                    > event I want to capture.. Now that I think about it, one could create a
                    > generalized 3D event object that enables other events to register with it, as
                    > in "addEventListener()".
                    >
                    > Hmmm. May have to give that some thought when I have some time.
                    >
                    • 7. Re: Just a small 3D project I have completed
                      Thanks Ziggi. I'll keep that in mind if I ever do another 3D Director project.
                      • 8. Re: Just a small 3D project I have completed
                        Allen_Partridge-1MiBZx Adobe Employee
                        Agreed - overlay mouse detection - even using buttons etc. would be great. I've had similar conversations with engineering several times. In past i've used lingo to convert mouseposition to align and create interaction the old fashioned way - the problem is that a tiny tweak in the layout makes tons of extra work.

--Allen