• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient tool not working in 2018 InDesign [Branched]

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is clearly a late reply, but I was just having this problem in March, 2018.  InDesign is a bitch.  Let's just get that out of the way.  I noticed the issue when I copied and pasted a gradient box from one document to another.  Worked before with no issues.  Now it caused issues.  it was like the copied gradient was locked could change the colors.  I could move the gradient position and angle.  That was it.  Since I had just started the document, and because I didn't want to waste any more @#$%ing time with this piece of @#$%$, #$%@, and $%&@#..... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!  I created a new document.  It looked a if I had the same issues.  I couldn't select the sliding color things (can't remember their name) to change the color.  They were locked on black and white.  I went to the color pallet and changed it to RGB because nothing was selected.  I had to do it for both colors of the gradient.  I was able to change the colors, but for some reason I thought by clicking on the little sliders that a color pallet would pop up.  Maybe since I'm so back and forth from Ai and PS that I'm tripping from how mother @#$%ing pissed off I've been for over an hour.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're tagging onto an old conversation. You'll get more help if you start a new discussion. You'll need to let us know what version of InDesign you're using, what operating system (exactly). Also provide a complete description of what happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I branched this from the CS6 thread into its own discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben,

I'm trying to follow your problem, and the only part I am understanding is the frustration!

Are you creating (or trying to create) a Gradient Swatch? In InDesign, you click the marker, then select whether your want a Swatch or to create a color from CMYK or RGB or Lab. I usually select an already created solid color swatch. And I create a Swatch for the gradient—I don't use the Gradient panel.

Also check to see if you are working on the fill or stroke. If your fill has a gradient and you are looking at the stroke, you may see no gradient. The letter "X" is the shortcut to switch between fill and stroke.

Can you post a screen shot?

I hope we can help you solve this—I just spent a frustrating 90 minutes with Microsoft support and they almost destroyed my system and still didn't solve my problem. I hope we can do better here for you!

Put a file in dropbox if you want us to look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, apparently the old way of doing things is no longer available. What you have to do is go into your swatches click on the 4 line icon, select New Gradient Swatch and go from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a new way of creating a gradient swatch. It's the way InDesign has done it since the beginning.

You may be remembering another application, like Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, currently working in InDesign. In previous versions, if you were to double click on the gradient tool a dialog box pops up and you were able to modify colors on the sliders, 2018 does not allow you to do that anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean edit an existing gradient? You can't make a new one that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still make a new Gradient (unnamed) with the Gradient panel (Window > Gradient).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LMC-Crestwood  wrote

Well, apparently the old way of doing things is no longer available. What you have to do is go into your swatches click on the 4 line icon, select New Gradient Swatch and go from there.

Steve Werner​ is correct. Both Gradient Swatches and the Gradient panel have not changed and both work as they always have. You are thinking of another program.

When your say "four line icon", do you mean "panel menu"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines