15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2008 10:25 PM by thismarty

Corrupt Director File

thismarty
      Hey, everyone!

I've got an entire directory of Director files that Director 11 has decided are "corrupt". I've never had this happen before with a previous version of Director and nothing has happened that should cause the files to go corrupt. Worse thing is, the files are the product of a single, grueling dev session, so I never had a chance to back them up.

So, what I'm wondering is if anyone out there has had a similar occurrence and found a way to recover, load, parse or otherwise bring "corrupted" files back to the land of the living, in whole or in part. If you have anything to offer, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Corrupt Director File
          Level 7
          You can try opening the files as MIAWs or LDMs can you may be able to
          save some or all of the assets. If you are on PC, then there are plenty
          of D10 xtras that will still work, like sharpExport xtra which you can
          use to save external copies of all the graphics
          • 2. Re: Corrupt Director File
            thismarty Level 1
            Thanks, Mike

Unfortunately, I already tried that one without any luck. Director won't load, import or otherwise handle these files in any way other than to say that they are corrupt.

After that, it runs and hides in a safe corner of the room.

Any other suggestions? Anyone? Oh, please. :-)

• 3. Re: Corrupt Director File
              Level 7
              You've got a fair chance of recovering the scripts if you open the files in
              a text editor. It might be that you need to tell it the file uses Unicode
              encoding (if Notepad won't comply, you can do that with EditPad Lite; I
              don't know about any others).

Andrew

• 4. Re: Corrupt Director File
                Level 7
                MartyPlumbo wrote:

> I've got an entire directory of Director files that Director 11 has decided
                > are "corrupt". .....
                > ... I'm wondering is if anyone out there has had a similar occurrence and
                > found a way to recover...

I have seen many cases of corrupt files.

A few questions:
                * Are the files in Director 11 format?
                * Have you tried on a different computer?
                * Can the files be displayed by opening them in a browser?

How big are the files? I'd be happy to give them a try on my end.

regards
                Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
                http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 5. Re: Corrupt Director File
                  aldus
                  As for me it is not clear "what" the corruption produce,
                  and also where it belong to. Are the orginal files pretty old (dir < 7), and/or
                  are there only scripts inside - or also images, sounds, etc.

At a last try you can place one of them for a download to take
                  a closer look at them right here?

Regards
                  Aldus
                  • 6. Re: Corrupt Director File
                    Level 7
                    aldus wrote:

> As for me it is not clear "what" the corruption produce,
                    > and also where it belong to. Are the orginal files pretty old (dir < 7), and/or
                    > are there only scripts inside - or also images, sounds, etc.

As it happens, I've come across the same situation. A DIR file submitted by one of
                    my students won't open. When I try open, I first get the alert: This file "....." is
                    not a Director File
                    This is followed by:
                    Problem reading file ',....': cannot open this file because it has been corrupted.

Importing, linking MIAW, all put up the same alerts. I'm thinking the file has
                    somehow been damaged by being burned onto a bad sector on a CD (which is how it was
                    submitted to me). I can't seem to do anything with it. I will see if I can get
                    another copy of the file to see if it can be recovered. This is a DMX 2004 file. It
                    gives the error opening it in DMX or D11.

regards
                    Dean

• 7. Re: Corrupt Director File
                      Level 7
                      > somehow been damaged by being burned onto a bad sector on a CD
                      If that was the case, you'd probably get a CRC error while trying to
                      copy/access the file.

Have you performed any binary checks on the file so far - e.g. compare the
                      begining of it with a working version?

"Dean Utian" <d.utian@unsw.edu.au> wrote in message
                      news:48625897.64A026CD@unsw.edu.au...
                      > aldus wrote:
                      >
                      >> As for me it is not clear "what" the corruption produce,
                      >> and also where it belong to. Are the orginal files pretty old (dir < 7),
                      >> and/or
                      >> are there only scripts inside - or also images, sounds, etc.
                      >
                      > As it happens, I've come across the same situation. A DIR file submitted
                      > by one of
                      > my students won't open. When I try open, I first get the alert: This file
                      > "....." is
                      > not a Director File
                      > This is followed by:
                      > Problem reading file ',....': cannot open this file because it has been
                      > corrupted.
                      >
                      > Importing, linking MIAW, all put up the same alerts. I'm thinking the file
                      > has
                      > somehow been damaged by being burned onto a bad sector on a CD (which is
                      > how it was
                      > submitted to me). I can't seem to do anything with it. I will see if I can
                      > get
                      > another copy of the file to see if it can be recovered. This is a DMX 2004
                      > file. It
                      > gives the error opening it in DMX or D11.
                      >
                      > regards
                      > Dean
                      >
                      > Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                      > http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
                      > http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                      > email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au
                      >

• 8. Re: Corrupt Director File
                        Level 7
                        alchemist wrote:

> Have you performed any binary checks on the file so far - e.g. compare the
                        > begining of it with a working version?

Haven't done any checks of the file in question. But as it happens... another
                        one has turned up with this prblem. Maybe Marty's email was contagious :) I
                        know what happened with this new example. The file, which was quite large
                        (around 100MB), was FTP’d to a server. The FTP failed and only part of the file
                        was copied. The FTP file was 60MB. The complete file that was eventually
                        uploaded worked fine.

So, in the above case, I guess it would be the end of the file that would be
                        different.

regards
                        Dean

• 9. Re: Corrupt Director File
                          thismarty Level 1
                          Heya, Dean, et al.

It is a D11 file but I have earlier, D10 versions that are doing the same thing.

Is D11 maybe finickier about parsing DIR's?

Does anyone know what the old dirOpener exploit was and if it can still be exploitated?

Yes, I'm that desperate. ;-)

• 10. Re: Corrupt Director File
                            Level 7
                            I'm pretty sure you can not use dirOpener on newer Director files (I
                            think it stopped working on MX (D9).

Apart from that, you have already received about all the general
                            knowledge on the subject. It all depends on what went wrong with the
                            file. I mean, in Dean;s case, he got a partially transmitted file. It
                            clearly did not have most of the info it was meant to have (as evidenced
                            by the lack of file size). That would be pretty much impossible to get
                            anything from, since the file didn't actually have that info any more..

You can get the scripts out by opening the dir file in a text editor. If
                            they are not there, then the file is corrupted beyond repair. Or it may
                            not be a dir file after all. I had a similar issue once where someone
                            gave me a dir file and asked how to open it. A little research found
                            that it was actually an encrypted dxr file and they merely changed the
                            filename. Of course there was nothing I could do to help there.

If you can't get into the file at all through MIAW or in a browser, then
                            you can't run any code, so there is no "exploit" to take advantage of.
                            You simply won't be able to get anything out.
                            • 11. Re: Corrupt Director File
                              Level 7
                              As Dean suggested, the only way we can help now is by examining the damaged
                              files.
                              Providing us with a link to one of your files (stating the dir version), so
                              that anyone willing could give it a try, that is.

"MartyPlumbo" <me@martyplumbo.com> wrote in message
                              news:g40nfd$f2h$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Heya, Dean, et al.
                              >
                              > It is a D11 file but I have earlier, D10 versions that are doing the same
                              > thing.
                              >
                              > Is D11 maybe finickier about parsing DIR's?
                              >
                              > Does anyone know what the old dirOpener exploit was and if it can still be
                              > exploitated?
                              >
                              > Yes, I'm that desperate. ;-)
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >

• 12. Re: Corrupt Director File
                                Level 7
                                MartyPlumbo wrote:

> It is a D11 file but I have earlier, D10 versions that are doing the same
                                > thing.
                                >
                                > Is D11 maybe finickier about parsing DIR's?
                                >
                                > Does anyone know what the old dirOpener exploit was and if it can still be
                                > exploitated?

As I've discovered, it's not something specific to Director 10 or Director 11.
                                It's the file.

dirOpener opened the movie as a MIAW and saved it as a DIR. Was a way to
                                restore a DIR from a DXR or DCR minus the scripts. However, if you can't open
                                the movie in Director as a MIAW, then dirOpener will not work.

regards
                                Dean

• 13. Re: Corrupt Director File
                                  Level 7
                                  Update on my recent experiences with corrupt files.

Situation 1: File not FTP'd fully so full file was not copied and partial file
                                  could not be opened.

Situation 2:
                                  This is actually the first one about which I posted. I thought the file may have
                                  been corrupted by a bad CD burn. I now have a working and corrupt version of the
                                  file. The student supplied another copy and this one opens fine.

My findings are:
                                  Both files are same file size - 126MB.
                                  Both have same created and modified dates.
                                  So, on a general look, both appear to be identical. Of course, one does not open in
                                  Director, the other is fine. The working one can be dropped into a browser and
                                  played through shockwave. Dropping the corrupt one into a browser doesn't give any
                                  errors but nothing shows up.

So, my next view would be to decompile the file.

Marty, are there no other copies of the file? May be an obvious question., but as
                                  in my case, another file that may look identical could actually be work.

regards
                                  Dean

• 14. Re: Corrupt Director File
                                    Level 7
                                    Hi again,

Just read through the thread again. See teh answer to my question for marty - there is
                                    only one copy of the files I haven't had any more success in doing a recovery. Have
                                    asked Adobe Director engineers if they have any ideas.

.regards
                                    Dean

• 15. Re: Corrupt Director File
                                      thismarty Level 1
                                      Those Director engineers haven't been a very talkative bunch up until now.

I'll keep my finger crossed though, for both of us! ;-)