• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After exporting an image (back in LR) the image appears 1/2 stop darker

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't remember when this began, but it's been going on for quite a while. I have been using LR since the beginning, so I am very familiar with it. The image looks good on my calibrated monitor, so I export it. After the export, when the software returns me to my image, the image is now about 1/2 stop darker. So is the exported file. So, I have to brighten the image and re-export. Anyone heard of this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the image a JPG? Are you overwriting the original JPG with the export? (If your answer to that last question is a NO, then please go to your export dialog box and confirm that you haven't accidentally selected to overwrite the original. Confirmation is needed, if you don't confirm this then I don't accept your answer.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have explained that I only shoot in raw. I process the raw image, then export a JPEG to a folder for my customer. After that process completes, I am left back in lightroom with a now slightly underexposed raw image. The exported JPEG file also seems to be slightly under exposed, so I correct the raw image again and re-export the file. Then, everything seems correct.

Hey iPhone X, where you been.......all my life?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never seen anything like that. Not sure why it would ever do this. Are you sure these images were processed by actually going into Develop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering: when the OP Exports, is LR set to also reimport the result to the LR Catalog? (checkbox in the Export dialog)

And perhaps, might the OP now be viewing that rather than the starting image version...

Otherwise what you see in LR after exporting should still be the same untouched camera import file, with unchanged adjustments overlaid, as what was seen before exporting.

As to what the export is like (disregarding the LR end for a moment): what colourspace is selected for export, and do export settings include any post-processing instructions? Also, if "exporting" JPGs from the Print module - is anything set in the Print Adjustments there?

The last question might be: if the OP is certain the image now viewed in LR, which has apparently changed due to exporting, is the same Raw based image version - are its slider settings the same, or different, before and after? The OP can check this using the History panel to click back and forth.

[but primarily, I agree with your suggestion. If the OP had not yet gone into Develop to make changes, a LR preview image for the Library module might not yet have been made. In that case, a camera embedded preview image will still be seen. This can be expected NOT TO MATCH an export, since it represents the result of the camera's internal processing, rather than of the different LR processing involved in that export. If subsequent operations or just the completion of work behind the scenes then cause a LR preview to become generated, then this WILL (substantially) match up with any exports, along with what is seen in Develop. Very often Raw files do need some lightening up compared with the factory default LR Raw conversion.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let me make some more observations and come back with more facts. So far, none of these amazing responses seem to me to explain what I'm seeing. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines