• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG images appear bizarre when first imported - then look OK

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first import DNG images created by my scanner, they look like this...

...but after a while (when I presume the image has been read fully) it's just fine.  These images are 48 bit (3 x 16bit) and it looks almost as if Lightroom assumes at first they must be 24bit images, so the initial low-res images are only looking at the lower 8 bits of each color.  Is this a bug? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

LR initially displays the embedded preview or thumbnail and then interprets the full-resolution image and updates its thumbnail and preview with that data. 

So whatever LR is showing initially is an interpretation of the embedded preview/thumbnail not a full-res image, and as such the 48-bit vs 24-bit situation is probably not in play, unless there are no thumbnails or previews embedded (which would be the scanner's fault) then LR could be doing something with the full-res data and not guessing

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR initially displays the embedded preview or thumbnail and then interprets the full-resolution image and updates its thumbnail and preview with that data. 

So whatever LR is showing initially is an interpretation of the embedded preview/thumbnail not a full-res image, and as such the 48-bit vs 24-bit situation is probably not in play, unless there are no thumbnails or previews embedded (which would be the scanner's fault) then LR could be doing something with the full-res data and not guessing correctly.

I don't think anyone can answer your question without an example DNG that has not been touched with LR, yet, and even then only someone with technical expertise in interpreting the contents of a DNG would be able to tell what is going on.  The rest of us can just tell you how LR deals with the initial thumbnail/preview it shows as I did in my first sentence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom just displays the embedded preview, it doesn't generate it. As the embedded preview is always a JPEG, and JPEG is 8 bit/color by definition, it seems more likely that your scanning software is doing this, not Lightroom.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah!  Should have realised that.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines