14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2018 3:36 AM by WobertC

3 Apr 2018 update "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC" can't be opened -10811

simonprbenson

So today Adobe updated Lightroom Classic CC and now I can't open the application at all - nor do I appear to be able to downgrade to previous versions.

Subsequent to the update I'm also getting OS crashes...

Any help appreciated!

LR: Classic CC 7.? - whatever the version number is for today's (3 April 2018) update!

The exact error message:

Adobe error.jpeg

I have Googled the above with no luck.

I have repeatedly attempted to uninstall and reinstall the application via the Adobe CC app updater. Each uninstall is followed by a reboot.

Not urgent today - but will be by Saturday 1800 when I'm likely to have around 3000 images to edit... not something I really want to do on my MacBook (which I have just stopped from updating!)

• 1. Re: 3 Apr 2018 update "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC" can't be opened -10811
          Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Your Lr preference file may be corrupt. Use Method 2 in linked document to reset Lightroom preference file

How to set Lightroom Classic CC preferences

Also, check the folder in which your Lightroom catalog normally resides. If you have a file with extension '.lrcat.lock' delete it and try to relaunch Lightroom.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 3 Apr 2018 update "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC" can't be opened -10811
            simonprbenson Level 1

Thanks Ian, but no joy.

Had already looked at the preferences file and processed Method 2 as you suggested. Have repeated the exercise just to be certain. No go.

Similarly no lock files.

• 3. Re: 3 Apr 2018 update "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC" can't be opened -10811
              simonprbenson Level 1

OK, I've now spent almost 8 hours trying to fix this - and still I have no Lightroom Classic CC working on my iMac.

Most recently I tried uninstalling ALL Adobe applications including the Creative Cloud App and starting from scratch.

The process followed:

• Uninstall ALL Adobe apps except 'Adobe Creative Cloud' helper app
              • Download uninstaller, run uninstaller to remove Adobe Creative Cloud
              • Reboot Mac
              • Run CC installer
              • Reboot Mac
              • From CC installer select Lightroom Classic CC and install
              • Wait for Mac to report Lightroom installed
              • Go search for icon in Launchpad - not found
              • Try 'Open' from CC app - does nothing
              • Find Lightroom 'folder' in Applications. Double click opens further folder consisting of Adobe Lightroom Classic CC application and uninstaller. Double click on application results in the error I reported at the start of this post.

In addition to my iMac 5K I have an old Mac Mini which is updated to the same version of High Sierra - and is very slowly running the latest update to Lightroom Classic CC.  Yesterday's 'shoot' took around 3 hours to import to a catalog on that machine and so far I've edited about 10 images where my normal workflow would've seen me hit about 50% by now...

Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this???

• 4. Re: 3 Apr 2018 update "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC" can't be opened -10811

That's ugly.

Can you try checking/resetting permissions as described about halfway through this thread (post by JoeBro1907) Lightroom Quit Unexpectedly on macOS High Sierra

• 5. Re: 3 Apr 2018 update "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC" can't be opened -10811
                  simonprbenson Level 1

Thanks Ian,

Tried that and have set ALL permissions for Lightroom Classic CC folder/App in Applications + the library folders/files to read & write for ALL usernames - and added my own to all, still with no success. Same error throughout (as per original post).

The Lightroom App folder (Applications > Adobe Lightroom Classic CC) displays only the following:

LR app folder.jpeg

I would have expected the LR icon to have appeared - and this after uninstall/reinstall etc. I note that all the other Adobe Application Folders show the application concerned with the relevant icon.

• 6. Re: 3 Apr 2018 update "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC" can't be opened -10811

Lightroom 7.3 isn't fully installed. At this point, I think you might be better rolling back to 7.2 in the CC App using the Other Versions option (see below) . That way you can at least get back to work.

cc other versions.png

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: 3 Apr 2018 update "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC" can't be opened -10811
                      simonprbenson Level 1

Ian, thanks for your help!

Just tried every version back to 7.0 my thoughts being it's easy enough to perform an upgrade once I have a working version... all giving exactly the same issue - as you say, it appears to be failing to install correctly.

I just got LR 6 to install - will now try upgrading from there to 7.3 again and see what then falls over!

• 8. Re: 3 Apr 2018 update "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC" can't be opened -10811
                        simonprbenson Level 1

Addendum...

LR 6 is working fine. Any attempt I make to upgrade is failing - 7, 7.1, 7.2 or 7.3. Exactly as above - the lack of an icon in the folder and then the error that started this stream of messages.

Grrrr!

I'll work on yesterday's 1350 images in LR6 - that's not a problem but really need to get back into the LR7 catalogs in short order so any other ideas gratefully received.

• 9. Re: 3 Apr 2018 update "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC" can't be opened -10811
                          WobertC Adobe Community Professional

So today Adobe updated Lightroom Classic CC

You do not say if you have a subscription to the Creative Cloud Photography Plan. So tell us do you subscribe?

You cannot upgrade from LR v6 to LR-Classic without subscribing.

• 10. Re: 3 Apr 2018 update "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC" can't be opened -10811
                            simonprbenson Level 1

Damn WobertC... why didn't I think of that?

Or maybe it's because all my other Adobe apps are working just fine - as was Lightroom Classic CC 7.2 before I upgraded. Including, but not limited to, Photoshop, InDesign etc.

• 11. Re: 3 Apr 2018 update "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC" can't be opened -10811

Thanks, and why did I?, because nothing had been said about other software, and I have been reading many forum reports of troubled installs of v7.3 with people who do not have a subscription (using v6 perpetual), and have been upgraded to Classic 7.3 because of a 'bug' in Adobe update process.

And you state- "LR 6 is working fine."  So if you subscribe I assume you are referring to Adobe Lightroom 2015.x CC correct?

A Google search for your Error 10811 does not give an answer but does mention  'MySQL' which is used for LR Catalog database structure.

In your Post#3 you list the good attempts to re-install. At that time did you run the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool? It can often be a better option rather than just uninstall/reinstall.

• 12. Re: 3 Apr 2018 update "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC" can't be opened -10811
                                simonprbenson Level 1

WobertC, perhaps you missed my original post.

Thanks for repeating my comment that a Google search didn't turn up any results.

Did you read the original post at all?  I appreciate you are trying to help - but perhaps if you read the entire post first you would have answers to the questions you continue to pose?

Regardless, from the Adobe CC application helper, I managed to get Lightroom 6 (their description) reinstalled and working.  And for the avoidance of doubt, this is what 'System information' provides me:

Lightroom version:  CC 2015 [1014445]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.13 [4]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 3.2 GHz

Built-in memory: 32,768.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32,768.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 747.8 MB (2.2%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 3,218.8 MB

Memory cache size: 350.0 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Displays: 1) 5120x2880

Graphics Processor Info:

AMD Radeon R9 M390 OpenGL Engine

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Version: 4.1 ATI-1.66.31

Renderer: AMD Radeon R9 M390 OpenGL Engine

LanguageVersion: 4.10

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom

Library Path: /Users/simonbenson/Pictures/Lightroom/2018-04-07 BTCC LR6/2018-04-07 BTCC LR6.lrcat

Settings Folder: /Users/simonbenson/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Thank you WobertC for referencing the CC cleaner tool - not something Ive previously seen any mention of - so it's the next thing for me to try so I can get back to my original installation let alone the most recent updates.

• 13. Re: 3 Apr 2018 update "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC" can't be opened -10811
                                  simonprbenson Level 1

OK, so now I have tried the CC Cleaner tool - twice.

After much hassle removing all the applications so as to run the initial CC uninstall tool - Acrobat DC would NOT uninstall - and numerous reboots I am no further on.

Right now I'm up to 11 hours to fix something that started with the upgrade from Lightroom Classic CC 7.3 to version 7.4.

LR 6 (2015) is back up and running and I have now reinstalled all the other CC apps as I need to actually do some work - however if anyone else has any ideas I'm open to them. I can't currently open catalogs created between v7 and v7.3 because this 7.4 upgrade has failed. That is a potentially MAJOR issue for me in the next 2 weeks.

As a reminder NO version 7.x application will install correctly since attempts to update to 7.4.

• 14. Re: 3 Apr 2018 update "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC" can't be opened -10811

You are in trouble, and I do not have any more suggestions.

Thanks for the System Info. It proves you can run 2015-CC with a Creative Cloud subscription.

Hopefully there will be others, more knowledgeable than me, that can assist.

perhaps you missed my original post.

No, I have read every post several times, but "updated Lightroom Classic CC" did not prove to me you have a subscription, as has been seen in other forums where a LR Guru has commented- https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/presets-not-working.34488/ 

Best of luck.