5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2008 6:05 AM by MergeThis

Indents on Web Help not working as I expected

shalw
      Remember, I am new to all this, so if this is dumb - pls don't laugh too hard!

I imported a couple of documents from Word into RH7 for HTML. That went fine, created a skin - fine, TOC - fine. Problem comes when I try to view my published results. Each topic has a section at the top that has tab indents (created in Word, but looks fine in the RH developer).When I view the results in IE, they look pretty good, if I do say so myself, but in Firefox or Safari - the indents are all over the place - they are not even consistently in the wrong place.
      The company I am writing this for prides themselves on being platform independant, but this is not so far.

What can I do, to get the indents to work consistently?

I tried to show you an example here, but couldn't even get that to work!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks
      Sharon
        • 1. Re: Indents on Web Help not working as I expected
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi Sharon

Have you tried inserting the content into a Table? You could then hide the outlines leaving only the text.

My thought here is that the table may make the appearance more consistent.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Indents on Web Help not working as I expected
            HKabaker Level 2
            For another approach, delete all the indents from the imported text and insert indents with RH techniques. Even then, you must take care to be consistent in the way you apply indents.

Also important is whether the text begins with a different style -- bold, for example. Be consistent in the way you highlight text to be modified. If you end up with just one ot two problems, look at the html code in RH, comparing the correct and incorrect tagging.

Otherwise, I agree with Rick on creating tables in RH and moving text into a the appropriate cell for consistent spacing.

Harvey
            • 3. Re: Indents on Web Help not working as I expected
              dscitechwriter
              Harvey, that was my inclination too was to handle this via styles. But I would make sure that rather than dealing with this at the HTML code level, I'd create a CSS sheet to do this and apply the CSS style each time rather than having a font face/bold/indents each time to apply.

I use Firefox myself and have noticed this same problem, with version 2. I haven't gone to Firefox 3 yet. I have noticed some slight differences in alignment with indents/bullet/numbered lists under Firefox compared to IE. Fiddling with CSS styles and/or using the table technique has worked most times for me.
              • 4. Re: Indents on Web Help not working as I expected
                shalw Level 1
                Thank you all so much for the replies. I have been using invisible tables in other parts of the document, and hadn't got them to work with this part easily. I thought I was cheating by using the tables, so I didn't spend any extra time on it. I didn't realize that that was a real work around that people actually use!

I will work some more on the tables, and look at also doing a CSS sheet. The text does begin with bold, go to Normal. Next line is bold, indent to hyperlink, next line, indent to another hyperlink etc. Then a new bold line, and maybe indents to hyperlinks again.

Thank you again for all your help,

Sharon

• 5. Re: Indents on Web Help not working as I expected
                  MergeThis Level 4
                  If you're going to use tables for this, you'll probably have to use nested tables, unless you set up your columns for nesting (either of which will be problematic).

You might want to look into a CSS solution, using descendant or child selectors. For example,

div h1 {
                  color: darkolivegreen:
                  }

would display that color for this text, where this particular h1 tag is a descendant of the div tag (within its open and close tags):

<div>
                  <h1>Some header text</h1>
                  </div>

h1 tags not appearing within the div tags would follow the normal h1 style.

Using a div > h1 selector instead (a direct child selector) would mean that no other tag could come between the div and h1 tags for this one to work (such as <strong> or <span =xxx>).

You could also combine selectors with classes: a "div.users h1" style would have a different setup from the "div.mgrs h1" style. The HTML call would then be <div class=users><h1>etc.

See the www web site or buy a good CSS book (I have one by Richard York).

Good luck,
                  Leon