3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2008 6:54 AM by robdillon

Director MX 2004 and Flash Actionscript 2

YHKWan
      Can anyone show me how to program director MX 2004 to run a few Actionscript 2 programmed .swf (not frame-by-frame programmed) in a row?
        • 1. Re: Director MX 2004 and Flash Actionscript 2
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant
          What do you want to accomplish? There is a lingo property, playing, that you can test to find if any given Flash sprite is running. If the .swf files that you want to play have more than one frame then you can test for the _currentframe and the _totalframes of any given .swf. Alternately, you can set a variable in each of the .swf files and test for that variable's value in Director. You can also call a Director function from inside the .swf. You can use that to control playback.
          • 2. Re: Director MX 2004 and Flash Actionscript 2
            YHKWan Level 1
            Rob,
            Thanks for your replay. Here is what I want to do:
            I have a Flash animation all done in Actionscript to playback a few slides with title and description. The pictures are loaded in the .swf runtime and the location of the pictures, duration, transition, and text attributes are controlled by external XML. Since this is all done with Actionscript, the Timeline is not really an indication of real time (like in frame-by-frame animation). How can I program Director to play the whole Flash animation and stop when done?

How can I upload a test file to you to illustrate what I'm talking about?
            • 3. Re: Director MX 2004 and Flash Actionscript 2
              robdillon Most Valuable Participant
              With that scenario, you can write a function in the Flash movie to call a function in the Director movie to have it move to a new frame or play a different sprite or whatever you like. In Flash, just use a getURL() function to call the Director function. If you are calling a function that is in a behavior attached to the Flash sprite then use this syntax:

getURL("event:functionName");

if you want to put the Director function in a movie script then use this syntax:

getURL("lingo:functionName");

Then, just write a lingo function to do what you want.