The problem was introduced by the renaming. PrPro creates an internal database of the clips it "knows" and when you changed clips and renamed some of them, it got all screwed up. Do NOT rename clips in the middle of a project, you'll get this. Especially if you rename them to the same as a clip you're removing from the project.
At this point, find where your media cache/cache database files are stored in the Edit/Preferences dialog boxes, close PrPro, go to those folders and delete everything in them. Reboot the computer. Start up PrPro and see if you can now get things sorted out.
I didn't rename anything that was in the timeline, I renamed the new imported clips that never went near the timeline yet. I didn't rename anything that was in the sequence.
Only the new clips. So renaming new clips messes it up? I'm still a beginner.
Renaming clips imported into a project can be problematic. Renaming should occur before they're imported, and remember, changing the name in the project does not change the name on disc.
If the names of the removed media and the renamed new media were similar to identical, there could easily be problems with the cache files and the media cache database. Learning how to work so that these things don't happen is part of the overall learning experience with PrPro. I had a couple things like this early on also.
So ... if I'm going to rename media, I either do it via the Explorer file manager app in Windows, or the renaming capabilities of Prelude or Bridge ... or Media Encoder, if I'm doing transcoding.
I guess I'm too dumb for this. I'm on a MAC, I brought in an AVCHD of extra footage that I want to ADD to my already done sequence as B-Roll.
Nothing in my sequence that was already there is being deleted or renamed. None of that. Zero. I only want to add a little b-roll.
I opened my original PR project file, saved it as a new name (version 2) imported the new media. Renamed those NEW files and the old original media clips that were NOT deleted or renamed or moved, took on the sound on of the new imported clips that were still NOT brought into the sequence yet.
So I closed it and went back to my original PR file, it was still fine, I wanted to add that b-roll though so I saved it as Version 3, imported the new media. Did not rename anything anywhere, and the one clip had it's normal sound still, but another clip in the sequence that was NOT changed in any way shape or name, still took on the sound of one of the newly imported clips that were not brought into the sequence.
Are there videos that spell this out for someone? Is there a name for what this is so I can look it up, because I am not able to make sense of your way. I'm a beginner, I don't know how to open the avchd files in anything but Pr or VLC, do I have to rename them in VLC then bring them in?
Quick question ... when you uploaded those files from card to computer, did you copy the entire folder structure from the card? That's an issue with AVCHD files because of the way they're parsed on disc, with a lot of data about the files in other folders separate from the ones that seem to have the actual video files.
I think everyone first working with AVCHD does like I did ... assume they're the same as say mp4/mov files, copy the video files to the computer ... and um ... something's not quite right. It's why some editors I've seen discuss this say they routinely transcode AVCHD on ingest to something like Cineform or DNxHD/R just to get a "simpler" workflow.
I found a video how to delete the cache like you said and talked to someone at my school and brought the avchd into media encoder to make the files h264 before I bring them in this time, I will also name them before, thank you!