4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2008 1:43 PM by nonybd

Way to create AIR Applications with Flash 8?

Nick7er
      Hi all,
      I'm new to this forum and to AIR apps in general, but I was wondering if you guys could help me out here.
      Everywhere on the Adobe site it describes only creating apps in Flash CS3 with the extension for AIR, but I heard elsewhere there might be a way to create apps with flash 8 and the AIR sdk.
      Can anyone tell me or link me to a way to do this?
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: Way to create AIR Applications with Flash 8?
          Damon Edwards Level 3
          Adobe AIR utilizes the ActionScript 3 programming language, which is not supported in Flash 8.
          • 2. Re: Way to create AIR Applications with Flash 8?
            Admiral_Brodnack Level 1
            If you just wanted to run a Flash 8 SWF in a desktop window, without using any of the AIR-specific features like file system access, or custom chrome, then it is possible.

To do this, you would:
            1. create a SWF file in Flash 8 (as usual).
            2. write an application descriptor file referencing that swf
            3. use the AIR SDK adl tool to test it
            4. use the AIR SDK adt tool to package it into an AIR file

See the AIR developer's guide for steps 2-4.
            • 3. Re: Way to create AIR Applications with Flash 8?
              abeall Level 3
              The Flash AIR API that allows you to do desktop stuff (file access, drag & drop, windowing, etc) is only for AS3, as dzedward said. However, if you were really determined to create your interface in Flash 8, you might be able to use the Javascript AIR API ( http://livedocs.adobe.com/labs/air/1/jslr/) and communicate with that using ExternalInterface in Flash.

Otherwise you can look into using the Flex SDK, which will let you create Flex applications and AS3.
              • 4. Re: Way to create AIR Applications with Flash 8?
                nonybd Level 1
                I did quite a bit of research on that (as I also have Flash 8), and came up with I think the only solution:
                Write the descriptor as if you are making an HTML application, and embed a flash object in the page, (your application).

Now, make a javascript file full of the different access functions you want to have available to your flash file.

Next, in your flash file, you can access those functions with:

import flash.external.*;
                ExternalInterface.call('functionName', *args);

And external interface will pass all arguments, and return what the javascript function returns.