1 Reply Latest reply on May 14, 2018 4:47 PM by Kevin-Monahan

Tool for finding shots for an overcut / restoration etc.

Ned Suohevets Level 1

We regularly reassemble /overcut older works.   There are a number valid reasons to do this. 

A specific example is a documentary film, with interviews shot on film, but where the final version of the documentary feature was edited / assembled in SD (as was the spec at the time).

We now have HD transfers of these original interviews, and are using them to create a new, HD version of the documentary feature. 

It takes a great deal of time to comb through the raw interview footage to find the specific shots used in the final production, and we have experimented with a number of techniques to make it go more quickly. 

So my question is this: given advances in software's ability to match images (and sound for that matter)  ...think TinEye  reverse image lookup, or even Shazam, I would think that someone might have created a plugin etc. that can take an image (or short clip) and search for it in a designated bin of footage, even though things like resolution, time-code, frame rates, etc. have no relation to one another.

I am hoping that the answer is "Moron! It's already in Premiere...go to File>>> etc etc", but I fear I am condemned to hours of looking at all the footage to fine the small bits that made in.