1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 27, 2008 9:33 PM by pixlor

resolution????

dkb43
      While I have been using Fireworks MX2004 for a while I have a lot to learn.

I have traced and greatly changed a graphic that is made of single curved lines. The graphic appears so pixelly, if that could be considered a word.

In an effort to change the pixelly appearance I changed the resolution. While its not as bad, it still appears more rough than I would like it to be. Also, though, in lowering the resolution, the size of the printed picture has changed. It is much smaller. . . . but the listed image size, in the program remains the same?????

First, how do I change the lines from having such a pixelly appearance. Why does Fireworks list the image size as 6 x 6, but yet the image prints as 2 x 2?

Feeling very much like a newby
        • 1. Re: resolution????
          pixlor Level 4
          Fireworks renders the image the way it would appear on-screen, that's why it appears "pixelly." If you want a program that doesn't show your drawing the way it would look aliased for screen output, you want to use Illustrator (or Expression Design or the open source Inkscape, something that isn't necessarily geared to making screen output.)

The resolution setting in Fireworks is pretty much meaningless. More important are the pixel dimensions (height and width). An image isn't a certain number of inches (like an artist's canvas), it is a certain number of pixes. The resolution of the device you're using to output figures into determining the image'ss final size.

For example, suppose you make an image that is 600x600 pixels square. On a monitor that shows about 100 pixels/inch, that image is about 6 inches square. On a printer with 300 dpi (dots per inch) resolution, that same image would normally print at 2 inches square. If your printer is 1200dpi, then the image would be 1/2 inch square. That's if you print one-to-one each pixel of your image is represented by one dot of ink. You can always print things bigger or smaller.

More info on this similar thread.