• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are my files losing quality when I reopen them?

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working on a design that I'm trying to clean up from enlarging it and I've noticed that when I open it again to work on it the quality has dropped and it no longer looks as clean. Why would it not open in the same quality that it was in before?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the name of the program you use so a Moderator may move this message

-A program would be Photoshop or Dreamweaver or Muse or Premiere Pro or ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooops, sorry, I'm using photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved from Creative Cloud forum.

Which operating system? What file format are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using macOS Sierra 10.12.6, 1.4GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB.

The file formats have been jpg, psd, and psb.

The version of Photoshop is CC 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jpegs will deteriorate with every resave. That's the price for the massive reduction in file size.

PSD/PSB and TIFF are non-destructive formats that will not change a single pixel.

To view any file accurately, in any application, you need to view it at 100% - one image pixel represented by one screen pixel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that still leaves me asking the questions as to why my psd or psb files are losing quality when I open them up again to do some more work. What I'm noticing is that the edges of things are getting an odd looking graininess to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StudioPhi  wrote

What I'm noticing is that the edges of things are getting an odd looking graininess to them.

What you describe there sounds very much like jpeg artifacts. There's no way this can happen with psd or psb - unless:

Is this a Smart Object containing a jpeg that is being repeatedly resaved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nope it's a regular photoshop file with layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also noticed that when I opened the jpg in Preview it was showing a better quality image than Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines