Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D issue - mesh visible in thin objects when texture is semi-transparent

Enthusiast ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have an issue with thin 3D objects that have a semi-transparent texture. The underlying mesh is visible, mixed with the texture, both in the normal workspace or after rendering. I've noticed this is the case only with very thin objects. I want to make a photography film look (with a twist) and so I create an extrusion from a 1px thin rectangle path/shape. Everyhting's fine up until I apply less than 100% opacity, whether directly in the material panel or with some transparency when I edit the texture.

See the images below so it's clear what is my issue:

1st image: in the workspace

2nd image: texture rendering (copper colored with some transparency)

3rd image: acrylic texture (from the included default textures)

This happens in the latest Photoshop update (19.1.3 from April 2018), but I haven't tried that effect in earlier versions.

After much head scratching, I've checked with different thicknesses and the problem gradually disappears the thicker it gets, depending on the twist and bending. With the image below, the mesh completely disappears at around 5px thick for 100px wide, but then my object is too thick for the intended use. Actually, even when I leave the extrusion completely flat, the mesh is somewhat visible (a big triangle across the whole extrusion); in that case, I could use a post card to avoid the issue, but once again, it's not what I want to do, as I want the twist.

Is there anything I can do to resolve that problem? It doesn't seem normal that this kind of stuff happens, is it?

At this point, I'd even settle for a tricky way to create that same effect, as long as it looks good with only my semi-transparent texture visible.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Michael

twist 1.jpgtwist 2.jpgtwist 3.jpg

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing the details of the settings, mesh and textures it is almost impossible to answer this.

It could be that the twist is putting two surfaces (front and back ) at the same location. A big no-no in 3D, and in real life, but one which Photoshop does not have the tools to resolve.

Can you post a link to the actual file that we can take a look at?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick answer, Dave!

I just made it again and you can get the PSD at https://adobe.ly/2GOY07O

Nothing fancy there: I created a rectangular path (100x5 pixels), extruded, twisted and applied the 'Plastic Acrylic' texture. Then again with a 100x1 pixels path (the one failing).

What I fail to understand is that, even if the two surface were messed up, the "mesh" itself shouldn't be shown. A distorted shape would be more likely, no?

Anyway... I hope there's a way to correct that or, at least, go around it and create the desired shape with some kind of magic trick

Michael

twisted.png

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I took a look at the file in Photoshop then in Blender. The issue is with the mesh geometry in that the extreme twist on the very thin cross section is causing the faces of the mesh to cross each other i.e. a front face is crossing the back. That can't hap[pen in real life and causes the ray tracing to go awry.

Your choices are :

a. Increase the thickness

b. Reduce the twist

c. Make the mesh in a proper 3D programme where you have control of the number of faces and can prevent the cross over

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave!

I still find it weird that the mesh becomes visible, though, instead of just distorting the shape (mathematically speaking, because to the eye it looks fine), which I would have guessed would happen if the faces crossed each other.

In any case, it seems I unfortunately won't be able to do what I had planned, at least not only in Photoshop. I'll install Blender and give it a try ASAP.

Thanks again for your time!

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the mesh was made of smaller faces then it probably twist without them crossing. Unfortunately the larger pieces introduce that cross when twisted.

If you install Blender, export the scene from Photoshop as *.obj then import it to Blender, put the model in Edit mode and select a front and back face. By orbiting the view around it you will see immediately what I mean

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines