Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Searchable PDF from FrameMaker 2015

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am saving a FrameMaker file to PDF and want to search tables in the document for phrases/words that break onto two lines.

The table text is set to not hyphenate because most of the command parameters contain hyphens, and I don't want to confuse the reader. However, I can only find the phrase when I search for the part of the phase that is on the first line.  In the attached example, I search for "user subscription charging ty" and find both instances.  If I search for "user subscription charging type", I only find the one instance - the phrase in the second column.  Acrobat seems to add a space when a word breaks onto a second line.

I need to be able to search for a specific, complete phrase because many of the command parameters break onto two lines and it's a large document with many similar parameters.

Does anyone know if I can correct this behaviour?  (I cross-posted this question to the Adobe troubleshooting forum).

Thanks

Emma

Running FrameMaker 2015 version 13.0.5.547 and Acrobat XI Pro on Windows 7 Pro.

charging type ss.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On further investigation, in the FrameMaker file, there seems to be a space between "ty" and "pe", but I cannot select it.  That would explain the space in the PDF and why the PDF search fails.  This seems to be the case for all words that break onto the next line.

word break ss.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emma,

is the PDF a tagged PDF?

Would you mind sending me the FrameMaker PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan

I don't believe it is a tagged PDF. I do not check the Generate a Tagged PDF box on the Tags tab in the PDF Setup for Selected Files dialog box when saving as a PDF.  Should I try that first?  Which tags should I include?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please try that. Make a backup cooy of your file, and than just include all styles (you can Shift-Mouseclick on the arrow buttons to move all styles from one to the other listbox. If you move them right → left → right → left you get a flat structure including all tags).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks, I'll do that tomorrow.  It's a large file and takes about 20 minutes to generate the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Stefan

I created a tagged PDF of the book and I can now find the entire phrase "user subscription charging type" when the word "type" is split onto two lines.  However, Acrobat now sees the two phrases as one, I presume because they are next to each other.  I don't think that is an issue though because instances of two exact same phrases next to each other are rare in the document, and the most important thing is that the entire phrase can be found.

charging type ss-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines