1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 21, 2008 11:29 AM by Dr. Fred Mbogo

Adobe Air Vs Thin Client Application

ChinmayeePune
      Hi,

I have very little knowledge of Adobe Air. I would like to know the basic difference between Adobe Air & thin client applications.

Also, does Adobe air supports web applications? if yes then how it interacts with centralize database which resides on main server?

Does Adobe Air works only with MySQL?

Can anyone help on this?

Thanks in advance!!
        • 1. Re: Adobe Air Vs Thin Client Application
          Dr. Fred Mbogo Level 1
          quote:

Originally posted by: ChinmayeePune
          I would like to know the basic difference between Adobe Air & thin client applications.
          I don't see that there necessarily is a difference. You can use AIR to build a thin client. You can use AIR to build a thick client. It's a tool. It doesn't tell you what to build.

quote:

Also, does Adobe air supports web applications?
          AIR includes several networking facilities which can be used to interact with a web server.

quote:

how it interacts with centralize database which resides on main server?
          It can do it the same way a browser does: by sending requests over HTTP, handled by server side code that manipulates the DB. If you have a "Web Service" API, AIR supports all the SOAP ****, too. And, there is a raw network API if you have to hand-roll your low-level protocol.

quote:

Does Adobe Air works only with MySQL?
          AIR doesn't support MySQL at all. The only native DB support it has is for SQLite, which is used for databases on the local file system where the AIR app resides. To access a remote DB, you have to use some form of custom networking to reach it.

Theoretically, you could write a MySQL network client using the raw client socket functionality, but I don't believe this protocol is documented. You could extract it from the MySQL source code, but...eck. Better to set up some kind of web service API.