• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

System constantly goes into sleep mode with CS6 and 2018

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New laptop running windows 10. Laptop falls asleep 1-2  min  into working when you stop for a second. It does not matter what the sleep settings are for battery or AC. So far, this does not happen with any other application. I have MS office and photoshop on disk also. I was running only CS6, but downloaded a trial version of 2018 today and the problem resurfaced immediately. We have wiped the HD 3 times and reloaded windows, replaced mother board, replaced battery. Diags all pass. Does anybody have any ideas what's causing this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this were a common occurrence we'd have seen many reports up til now. This does not sound like anything related to InDesign beyond the application calling on a resource on the PC that is causing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still need help to resolve this. I don't know enough about Windows and resources, but this issue makes everything unproductive. If somebody has the knowledge that I lack, I would appreciate some direction because I am working with microsoft and hp and they need direction as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing to try is to disable all power saving options. If that works you can start changing them one by one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started running the power tests as you suggested. This weekend, my laptop went through heavy duty diagnostics at Microsoft and everything passed. Microsoft asked me to uninstall CS6 and retest with my trial version of indesign 2018. The laptop is running off of AC and sleep is set to 15 min.  As I am writing, my laptop is going to sleep every 3 minutes after I go hands off of the mouse with 2018 open. I need to login each time. My trial version expires today so this is the lt of my testing on this software. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can tell you is that something very strange is at play here. As I already mentioned, whatever this is is specific to your computer. Nobody else has ever reported it. There's simply no way to even guess at what the issue is.

Turn off all of the power management in the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue. I have all power saving features turned off, and it works great untill I turn on photoshop CC then it seems like all the setting have been discarded and system goes to sleep after about 5 minutes. I've recognized the issue about a year ago for the first time but it did not annoy me that much until today, so tha's why I am reporting it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. This is affecting productivity. I've really isolated it down to Adobe. My issues started off with Premiere, then Indesign, and now Illustrator is happening too. I've done everything that is suggested above, from resetting Power Settings to replacing AC adaptor. It's still not working. I'm pretty certain it's Adobe products because, it only happens when I'm using Adobe products. All Microsoft products are running fine. Please help. Thanks.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows has some fairly deep settings to control sleep, hibernation, and powering down screens and other peripherals.

You wrote: <<The laptop is running off of AC and sleep is set to 15 min.>>

A few times, I've had similar wonky stuff, but it's always been the computer's settings not InDesign's. Here are some of the things that caused problems:

• When on AC, not battery: a faulty power plug, faulty power supply (that "brick" on a laptop's power cord), a power cord with a nick that was shorting out, wonky power plug that wouldn't seat well into the AC socket on the computer which sent a signal that the laptop was on battery rather than AC.
  • When on battery, a failing battery that couldn't keep a charge long enough, or that couldn't be fully charged anymore.
  • A wacky power strip with energy-saving features that kept turning everything off. It really did save energy, but... <grin>
  • Screen saver settings that would cause a re-login to revive the screen.
  • Messed up power plan settings in the Windows control panel.

As suggested by @BobLevine, turn off all power management through the Windows control panel and see if that improves the problem.

• Windows Settings
  • System
  • Power & Sleep and set everything to NEVER.
  • On the right side of that screen, select Additional Power Settings and click Change plan settings
  • At the bottom of that dialogue, click Restore default settings for this plan. Note that this will give you 10 minutes before the display is turned off, and 30 minutes before the hard drive is put to sleep. That's not great, but it should improve what's happening now.  With some computers, when the display dims (as it can with these power plans), it can also then force you to log in each time you wake up the screen.

If that does improve things, then go back and just the power plan settings to something more sensible for you. For example, I like my plan settings to be 30 minutes for the screen to dim, and 1 hour for the hard drive to go to sleep.

Let us know if you discover what caused the problem.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Microsoft Tier 2 had created a power plan just over one week ago, but aside from that, the laptop was running on defaults. I followed your suggestions and removed the plan and restored defaults again. I also set the power settings to never sleep. Just as an FYI, I ran tests with HP on settings set to never and we did not have consistent results. Is there any chance that my photoshop cs6 install could be involved in this through the installer app or prefs? I have not deleted photoshop since the last install last week. I had downloaded the indesign and photoshop s/w from the adobe site and kept reusing that .exe for each of the software installs.

These problems occur on a doc, with AC adapter and on battery so we've tested that quite a bit. Just in case, HP replaced the battery a couple of weeks ago. There was no change.

I will gladly keep you all updated as to the resolution. For now, my technical help does not know what to do for this. I have run this software on client machines for the past 4 years and have had no such trouble, but I buy my own machine and all of the trouble begins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the update. The Creative Cloud app was still running yesterday after I had logged in days earlier for my Indesign 2018 trial. I noticed that my CS6 had populated the list this time and that there was an update, so I ran it last night. Out of 7 tests 6 of them responded correctly according to the timing set for sleep. I am monitoring it for the next few days to make sure that it's stable, but this seems to be the fix. Since the 20108 had the same issue on Win 10, I wonder if there was a similar update for that version which I missed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For anyone else still experiencing this, mine seems to have been caused due to my laptop overheating. Once I propped it up so the fans could vent properly the problem seemed to be relieved.

- X is only a one letter word

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines