• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects error: File "(filename).aif" cannot be opened, it may be in an unsupported format. ( 86 :: 1 )

Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue: After updating to 15.10, After Effects stopped recognizing .aif files (see image).

Error message when opening any project with .aif files in them: After Effects error: File "(filename).aif" cannot be opened, it may be in an unsupported format. ( 86 :: 1 )

-For clarity, this happens on all audio files in any of my projects, not just the one in the screenshot.

-Replacing the files via Replace Footage does not solve this issue - it won't recognize any of the replaced audio files either, you get the same error.

-Reboot does not solve this issue.

-Uninstall / Reinstall (with removing preferences chosen) does not solve this issue.

Workaround:

Rolling back to 15.0.1 allows me to use the projects as expected, and I do not receive the error. Not exactly a sustainable solution, though.

Any ideas on what is going on here?

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 9.21.41 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a extremely rude surprise for you -- with the latest update, Adobe killed off a whole boatload of QT codecs, apparently including AIFF.  And they're not coming back, either.

Your only option -- revert to version 15.0.1.

If you want to access old QT's & AIFF's -- AND stay current on Adobe software -- you have no other option than to run out a buy terrabytes of storage and commence to transcodin' in your down time.  Like overnight.  Don't forget to make backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any information / links to substantiate that? The only thing I've seen is "The After Effects 15.1 release no longer supports legacy 32-bit QuickTime operations on macOS and Windows.", which this wouldn't apply to.

It seems like they're still supported according to this: Supported file formats in After Effects CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the AIFF format is not supported in AE 15.1, on Windows. Convert your AIFF to WAV.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on OSX High Sierra.

The conversion workaround is an option, but users really shouldn't need to convert anything. AIFF is an industry standard format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've established with other coworkers that they were able to replicate this issue on their applications after update to 15.1 as well.

Whatever the case may be, (despite them documenting the contrary) it appears Ae longer supports .aif files. This is particularly weird because they work just fine in Premiere. What a bizarre decision. Would love an official response about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm if the AIFF is uncompressed or otherwise?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's correct, it is a stereo 44.1kHz / 16 Bit uncompressed AIFF file, effectively identical to a WAV file of the same sample rate/bit depth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please convert one of these AIFF to 48kHz/16 bit, uncompressed and see if AE imports it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it out - the same error occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying it out. Please file a Bug Report. It'll be great if you can include one of the AIFF files in your report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be happy to do that, and can include the original source files as reference. Thanks for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The bug report for this issue has been submitted here: After Effects 15.1 bug: File "(filename).aif" cannot be opened, it may be in an unsupported format. ...

There's no place to attach files there but I've cross linked to this page for visibility. If anyone else has experienced this issue or shares the concern, I encourage you to vote on it so that we can get to the bottom of this rather bizarre usability defect / feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines