5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2018 7:45 AM by Bernie33

Are "public" collections private?

Bernie33 Level 1

In Lightroom Classic CC, I have to make a collection "public" in order to get a link that I can share with friends.  But who else can see that collection?  Is it really "public" to the whole world?  If some stranger does a search on a keyword associated with one of the photos in my "public" collection, might they come across my photo?

I really want the collection to be visible only to people that know the link.  Is that how it works?

• 1. Re: Are "public" collections private?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't see anything in Lightroom Classic CC about making a collection "public". And on the website, there is a choice to share the collection, but even there all I see is a place to get a copy of the link to share with others. I don't think it's available to anyone except those you choose to share it with. At least that's the way I understand it.

• 2. Re: Are "public" collections private?
            Bernie33 Level 1

In Lightroom Classic CC, to get a shareable link to a Collection the only way I know to do it is to right-click on the Collection.  That gives a pop-up that allows you to Sync the collection.  The pop-up also has an option to get a link, but you can't do that unless you first Sync the Collection.  When it is Synced, you can click on Lightroom CC Links and that pops-up another window that allows you to view it on the web, or to make it Public.  If you make it Public you can then get a link that you can share with others.

So, my question is still, does "Public" really mean shareable only to people who have the link?

• 3. Re: Are "public" collections private?
              Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

When you create a “public” link it is indeed publicly available to view by anyone who has the link. BUT I’m pretty sure that there is no SEO on the link and the images. That means only people you share the link with will see the collection of images. For example, the images will not turn up in a Google search. Be careful who you share the link with, because they could share it with others.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Are "public" collections private?
                john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Basically, no. If someone can guess the URL, they can see the pictures. So it's "security by obscurity", for what little that is worth.

2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Are "public" collections private?
                  Bernie33 Level 1

Following up on responses from Theresa J and John Beardsworth, I've done Google, Yahoo and Bing searches for adobe.ly with and without additional search terms.  I found no hits to photos shared via adobe.ly links.  So, at least for now, it appears that the search engines are not indexing pictures shared that way.