• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with exported JPG (over saturated)

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

i have a problem with both photoshop and lightroom. I edited an image first with lightroom (it was a RAW file), then i modified it in photoshop. After all the retouching i saved it as a TIFF and exported using the save for web method. The problem is that the JPG came out more saturated than the image in photoshop.

My color setting are prophoto in both lightroom and photoshop, and when i export photos i always check the option "convert to sRGB".

The strange fact is that it happens just sometimes, not for all of the photos i edit. 90% of the photos i export using this method are OK, but sometimes one comes out really more saturated and i can't understand why.

Can someone help me fixing this issue? Thanks ^^

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018
  • The new Windows "Photos" application shipping with Windows 10 is not color managed. That's the one in the screenshot.
  • The old "Windows Photo Viewer" from Windows 7 was color managed, and very reliably so. Why Microsoft dropped the ball here is anybody's guess.

In any case, Luckyman, "convert to sRGB" is not enough. To be sure you also have to check "embed color profile". Some web browsers will assign sRGB if the profile is missing, and do color management based on that - but not all.

With these set

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that the JPG came out more saturated than the image in photoshop.

The image appears differently than expected in which application?

Is the Color Profile embedded?

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post meaningful screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the color profile is embed! The image appears differently in most of the application, like windows photo viewer, instagram etc..

As i said, it's strange because it's only for this photo

Anyway i'll post a screenshotscreenshot2.jpg

Keep in mind that is even more saturated on my screen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image appears differently in most of the application, like windows photo viewer, instagram etc..

That is irrelevant as long as the opened image appears as expected in Photoshop.

Photoshop employs Color Management, if other applications do not that is not a problem you can solve with Photoshop.

And again: Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post meaningful screenshots.

That would include the jpg opened in Photoshop.

statusBarSetting.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok if i open the jpeg with photoshop it's normale, not over satured. What i can't understand is why the other photos look great even in other application, and this one does not..

Anyway sorry i didn't understand what you were asking, there you are a good screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

According to this thread Windows Photo Viewer should be Color Managed

Re: Why is PS showing different colors when exporting ?​

so the difference is indeed unexpected (as long as the profile is embedded).

How about Instagram? Does it display the image the same way Photo Viewer does?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also:

My color setting are prophoto in both lightroom and photoshop, and when i export photos i always check the option "convert to sRGB".

Those are hardly the complete Color Settings, for example what are the Color Management Policies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and this are my color settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• The new Windows "Photos" application shipping with Windows 10 is not color managed. That's the one in the screenshot.
  • The old "Windows Photo Viewer" from Windows 7 was color managed, and very reliably so. Why Microsoft dropped the ball here is anybody's guess.

In any case, Luckyman, "convert to sRGB" is not enough. To be sure you also have to check "embed color profile". Some web browsers will assign sRGB if the profile is missing, and do color management based on that - but not all.

With these settings, most web browsers except IE/Edge will get it right. But "Photos" will never be right. Just ignore it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for the reply! I understood almost everything, except the fact that all other images looks the same both on PS and windows photo viewer, instagram etc..

Since all the photos i take are ment to be published on instagram, i'd like to have the same effect both on instagram and PS.. pfff that's so annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not about Instagram. That's just a website like any other. It's about what web browser you are using to view Instagram in.

If you really care about consistency on the web, you also need to pick your web browser carefully, and you need to configure it correctly.

Many browsers will color manage correctly as long as the profile is embedded - but give up all color management if the profile is missing. Others will assign sRGB to untagged images (a safe assumption on the web), and thus again color manage correctly - but only if you configure that option manually.

You also need to know that some sites strip the profile even if you embed it. The "assign sRGB" policy takes care of that.

And of course there has to be a valid monitor profile to convert the document profile into, so that it displays correctly.

And finally: you obviously have no control over other people's systems or devices or how they've been set up. But that's not your problem, it's theirs. As long as you know it's right, you're not responsible for everyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, you've been really exhaustive! But i have a question left: why this "problem of over satured photo" is not applied to all the photo i edit but just to some of them??

Just one last thing: when i export using save for web, it automatically set it to optimized, and you can already see it's more saturated. If i click Normal, instead of optimized, i goes back to the original and it's not saturated. So i try to save it as normal, but when i see it, it's still oversaturated... i really don't know what to think

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you have "embed profile" checked? Also set preview to "use document profile" to see the color managed version.

Monitor Color shows it un-color-managed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines