• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to understand Catalogs

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had several versions of Lightroom over the years and with each new version comes another catalog.  Up front I must confess, as you will figure out shortly, that I'm not too savy with computers.  However I can get around pretty well in Lightroom.  But it seems as if the pictures that I had in Lightroom 4 are in a catalog that is not accessible in Lightroom CC.  I think I can switch to another catalog however I'm afraid that I might goof up my current images and catalog.

So what I'm wondering is -

1.     Can I switch between catalogs to access older images and if so can I return to my current catalog without losing any of my images?

2.     And if so, how can I get all of my photos into one catalog - or is that not possible.

I was hoping to get all of my images onto external hard drives and then pull them up whenever I need them but I don't know if that is possible.

Any help that you could give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Don

[Moved to LR Classic forum - Mod.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. First of all, images are not "in" the catalog. They are in folders on your computer. The catalog is a database that simply keeps track of where the images are located as well as the work you have performed on those images. Switching catalogs is simply a process of switching databases. So you can switch back and forth confidently without losing any of the work you have done in either database.

2. Choose the catalog that you want to be the main catalog. In Windows go to the File menu, on Mac I believe it's the Lightroom menu and choose the option to import from another catalog and choose the other catalog you have been using. There will be options you can choose, but you can combine the two catalogs and have everything together in one single catalog.

You can put your images on external hard drives without any problem. What do you mean by "pull them up whenever I need them"? Do you intend to not have the external hard drives connected all the time? If that is the case you might want to consider exploring smart previews. It's in the help system.

You mention Lightroom CC. I assume you are referring to the new cloud-based Lightroom. You need to be aware that it is NOT compatible with Lightroom 4. Lightroom CC is only compatible with catalogs created by Lightroom Classic CC. I hope you understand that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moved to LR Classic forum - Mod.]

Why did this post get moved to the LR Classic CC forum, when it says Lightroom CC????

To the original poster ... exactly what software are you using? Go to Help->System Info and tell us what it says in the first two lines inside the inner box? Here's what mine says:

2018-04-17 06_42_50-Start.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the info

Lightroom version: CC 2015.6.1

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.12

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. You might want to update your Lightroom to Lightroom Classic CC (which is now version 7.3), it's free for you since you are a subscriber.

You shouldn't have to switch between catalogs to access older photos, they can all be in one catalog. The steps to combine two catalogs are:

1. Open the current catalog
  2. Select File->Import From Another Catalog
  3. In the dialog box that appears, select the older catalog, and the click on OK
  4. Repeat if you have more catalogs to combine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A catalog file is just a Database file that has References, Records, of the images you have imported and also stores any edits you have made to your images.

As stated above no images or ever "IN" LR. Your images are stored in folders someplace on one of the hard drives that are connected to your system or could be stored on a networked drive your computer has access to over your Local Area Network (LAN).

Also you are running an older version of LR and you should update to LR Classic CC V7.3.

That is if you have a valid subscription to the Photographers Plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with Catalogs and folders. I'm a new user and somehow did something that now shows my specific folders are missing from the list yet all the photographs are there but co-mingled. Looks like it is now trying to read from my online (cloud) photos. How do I get back to where I was. Won't let me import again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

carys23666144  wrote

... and somehow did something that now shows my specific folders are missing from the list yet all the photographs are there but co-mingled. Looks like it is now trying to read from my online (cloud) photos.

Explain this further. Provide details. Lots and lots of details. Show us a screen capture(s) of what you see.

Better yet, since this is unrelated to the prior parts of this old thread, start a brand new thread and provide the details and screen capture(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines