2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2018 3:09 PM by Sling_Shot13

Major brush lag even with low (~30%) smoothing

Sling_Shot13 Level 1

Photoshop CC 2018, fully updated (upgraded to 2018 and downloaded recent update from early April/late March)

OS X, fully updated

iMac Retina 5K

16 GB Memory

Allowing PS to use 9998 MB memory (recommended: 7851-10278 MB)

Hello,

I hope someone can help me. My brushes have very noticeable lag even on low smoothing (around 30%). I'm using the basic PS brushes, and Kyle T Weber downloaded packs. I work in 300 dpi resolution and the lag is present when the brushes are small (8 px) and also when large (100+ px) but only when smoothing is on. Zooming in or out doesn't seem to make a difference. The lag appears around 25% smoothing and gets almost unusable around 45% smoothing.

Is this normal?

I'm using a fully updated Wacom Bamboo drawing tablet (it has the latest drivers, which are old, but I get the same problem with my mouse, so I don't think it's my tablet)

I have already tried the "reset preferences on quit" fix as recommended elsewhere on Adobe forums.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, or need more information.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Major brush lag even with low (~30%) smoothing
          Sahil.Chawla Adobe Employee

Hi,

We're sorry to hear about the performance issue when using brushes, could you please try deselecting "Use Graphics Processor" located under Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Regards,
          Sahil

• 2. Re: Major brush lag even with low (~30%) smoothing
            Sling_Shot13 Level 1

Hi Sahil,

Thank you for your response.

I unchecked "use graphics processor" and restarted Photoshop. I was using a Kyle T Webster brush at 250px and the canvas was 300dpi.

The brush still lagged horribly. I could count the seconds it took to complete a stroke.

Please, if you can offer anything else, I am happy to try it. At this point, this is terribly affecting my workflow and I will have no choice but to look into how to downgrade back to PS CC 2015.

Thank you again for your suggestion.