• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to hyperlink TOC title (Contents) in epub to Table of Contents page?

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book file in InDesign and when I export it as an epub file, all the chapters are linked correctly in the device (navigational) TOC.

Except for the actual title of the TOC: Contents

I have checked other ebooks on my kindle and all of them have a hyperlinked "Contents" title which goes to the Table of Contents page. For example, I can click on Chapter 1 in the device TOC and it will take me to the Chapter 1 page. To get back to the Table of Contents page I can click on Contents in the device TOC.

I cannot figure out how to get the Contents title hyperlinked so it goes to the Table of Contents page. It seems that I should be able to do this since other ebooks have that functionality.

Any ideas on how?

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign EPUB forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I believe that you have created a TOC style from and apply this style in export pannel for ePUB, right?

To solve it apply a chapter style for this TOC title, this way when indesign create the toc.xhtml the Contents page will be index also

Other way to solve is open the ePUB from Sigil and chosse Tools > TOC > Edit TOC. You can add target pages for TOC items

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion – this seems reasonable and I have tried multiple variations of applying the chapter style to the Contents title, but it doesn’t work for me. Perhaps because InDesign sees it as the same page (not a chapter) can’t create a link to the same page the TOC is on.

I have not yet tried the Sigil solution yet, as I am not familiar with it.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Could you solve the problem in another way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a circular problem. If you don't want the TOC in the TOC, use a different style for the CONTENTS title. Otherwise (if, for example, the CONTENTS head is the same as your chapter headings), the TOC process will pick it up and included in the TOC list.

It all comes down to (1) the style applied to the CONTENTS title and (2) whether that style is included in the TOC gathering list.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks James!!. Sorry, I wanted to say that I have the TOC and it works perfectly but I need to return from the destination page to the TOC page. In the epub reader I can press return. But can I do that same action without using the epub reader browser? For example: in TOC page I click on "chapter 2" and when I go to chapter 2 page, how can I generate a link in "chapter 2 title" to go back to the TOC page? It is possible? automatic? any option in TOC window configuration?. Thanks for your advices!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

TOCs are one-way links. The "back" function is one of the reader, not the document, just as it is with a web browser. Since there is very little standardization among readers, the function works pretty much however the developer of that reader thnks it should. 😛

You could add a "go to TOC" link anywhere you like in the document, but in general, EPUBs should rely on the dynamic (reader) TOC, not in-text lists and links.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines