4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2008 7:44 PM by FrenchTrost

Static Font not automatically embedding

Hi. I've read through the topics on font issues and still have questions regarding a problem I've had with static text. In the literature I've read, it says static text should automatically embed itself into the swf. It also seems like by making static text into a movie clip, it should help ensure it is embedded into the .swf. However, some cases the fonts do show up correctly, and sometimes not.

I have both Flash 8 and Flash CS3 and have experienced the problem with both. Is it a player issue? I teach a Flash I class and hope to have a good understanding of the issue ASAP. My workaround has been to tell students to break apart the font twice to get them back to shapes - but this leaves the text uneditable and is not an ideal solution. Any help is Immensely appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Static Font not automatically embedding
          Level 7
          Hey,

I encountered a similar issue at work. Don't know if the reason is the same
          thing that you're experiencing or not, but here's what I figured out. CS3
          got installed on the Macs at work, but the player for SWFs was still set to
          Flash player 7 (we went from MX 2004 to CS3). Therefore, testing through
          Flash worked just fine, but launching a SWF outside of Flash caused text to
          turn out incorrectly, and much like you are describing. Once we got the
          SWFs to open with the current player, everything was better.

BTW, tell your students that if they are breaking their text apart, they can
          keep an editable version in their file in a guide layer so they don't
          experience chaos when they need to edit the text.

--KB

"FrenchTrost" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g89v43$npu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi. I've read through the topics on font issues and still have questions
          > regarding a problem I've had with static text. In the literature I've
          > read, it
          > says static text should automatically embed itself into the swf. It also
          > seems
          > like by making static text into a movie clip, it should help ensure it is
          > embedded into the .swf. However, some cases the fonts do show up
          > correctly,
          > and sometimes not.
          >
          > I have both Flash 8 and Flash CS3 and have experienced the problem with
          > both.
          > Is it a player issue? I teach a Flash I class and hope to have a good
          > understanding of the issue ASAP. My workaround has been to tell students
          > to
          > break apart the font twice to get them back to shapes - but this leaves
          > the
          > text uneditable and is not an ideal solution. Any help is Immensely
          > appreciated.
          >

• 2. Re: Static Font not automatically embedding
            Level 1
            Thanks so much, KB. I really appreciate the timely response. Are you now at Flash Player 9? If it is a player issue (which sounds to be the most probable cause), then it is tough to ensure that the all end users are experiencing the same thing. I guess a link/note could be posted that the viewer should be using Flash Player 9.

That is a great recommendation about keeping an editable version in a guide - I'll have my students do this if they need to break apart the text.
            • 3. Re: Static Font not automatically embedding
              Level 7
              The way text is handled changed between player 7 and player 8, so as long as
              the viewer has 8 or higher, everything ought to work fine, I think.
              According to web stats, it appears that somewhere between 80 and 90% of
              people have the latest version. Adobe says 99%, but I have sort of a hard
              time believing that due to personal experience and client input.

As I always say, people who have computers that are made out of wood don't
              deserve to be on the internet. Of course, this all depends on your target
              audience.

--KB

"FrenchTrost" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:g8ancp$ikc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks so much, KB. I really appreciate the timely response. Are you now
              > at
              > Flash Player 9? If it is a player issue (which sounds to be the most
              > probable
              > cause), then it is tough to ensure that the all end users are experiencing
              > the
              > same thing. I guess a link/note could be posted that the viewer should be
              > using Flash Player 9.
              >
              > That is a great recommendation about keeping an editable version in a
              > guide -
              > I'll have my students do this if they need to break apart the text.
              >

• 4. Re: Static Font not automatically embedding
                Level 1
                Your message helps a bunch - thank you! You cracked me up with the wood computer line. I'll post a reply down the road if it turns out the issue happens even with the newer player - but hopefully you've hit upon the solution. I Really appreciate your insight - Big thanks!