2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2018 10:12 AM by rayknowles

Adding a header or footer to a pdf page changes all text to black within the main body of the page.

rayknowles Level 1

I have a number of PDF documents that I am combining into a book.  The documents contain both text and images. Most of the text is black but some has been deliberately set to a different colour.  I am using Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard to combine the pages into a single PDF file and to paginate the resulting document.

The individual pages have been laid out using Scribus 1.4.6 and exported as PDF files.  The individual pages appear correctly on both screen and printer.  I combine the pages into groups using Acrobat and the resulting multipage documents appear correctly on both screen and printer.

The final task is to add page numbers and it is here that things go wrong.  As soon as I add a header or footer of any description to the document all the 'coloured' text turns to black.  The images retain their original colour.  This happens regardless of the number of pages in the document.

Is there any way I can prevent this from happening?

• 1. Re: Adding a header or footer to a pdf page changes all text to black within the main body of the page.
          Dave__M Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, your version of Acrobat is quite old.  I believe Acrobat 8 was replaced by version 9 in 2008.  I mention this because I would normally try to recreate someone's issue like yours to see if I can duplicate it and find a solution.  But in the software world, ten years is an eternity, and older software tends to become less, or incompatible with more modern operating systems. On what O.S. is this Acrobat installation?

That said, maybe try a different font or font color for your Header/Footer entries to see if you get a different result.  If I can find a solution, I'll be happy to share.

My best,

Dave

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adding a header or footer to a pdf page changes all text to black within the main body of the page.
            rayknowles Level 1

Hi Dave

Thanks very much for your reply.

My operating system is Windows 10.

I have tried out a few things, to no avail:

Using a different font in the original.  (From Arial to Calibri)

Using a different colour in the original

Using a different font in the header.

Using a different colour in the header.

I can get round the issue by going to the original document, selecting all elements on the page and grouping them before exporting to PDF.  This hides the fact that the coloured bit it is text and stops it going black.  This will work but will have to be done individually on all 210 pages.

I take your point about very old software.  It just grieves me to essentially hire an expensive program when I have something that (I thought) still works, and when I make minimal use of it.

Once again, many hanks

Ray