5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2018 9:19 AM by Dave__M

Searchable PDF

lorik47260675 Level 1

We have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. We currently save our invoice payments in a PDF using the transaction number as the file name. (i.e. GAX 18_9999). How can I tag these or make them searchable so that when I type in a vendor name, all the pdfs associated with that vendor appear?

• 1. Re: Searchable PDF
          Dave__M Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure I completely understand your need/scenario, but perhaps by adding the vendor name into the file's metadata or keyword list, it could be a way.  If you go to a PDF's properties (File>Properties, or cmd/ctrl D, you can enter keywords or other meta data there.  You'd need to save the file after adding the metadata.

I hope this is helpful.

My best,

Dave

• 2. Re: Searchable PDF
            lorik47260675 Level 1

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information, I tried this, but when I did a search in Adobe, there were no results found. I'll keep trying. I'm sure there is a way. When I did a google search, I found information about adding a tag. Tried that also and not having any luck. Maybe I'm missing a step.

Lori

• 3. Re: Searchable PDF

Maybe a bit more information might be helpful.

Where/what are you using for your searching?  Are you using Acrobat's Find or Search function, or are you in your operating system and trying to search a specific folder?  Also, what is your operating system?

My best,

Dave

• 4. Re: Searchable PDF
                lorik47260675 Level 1

I think I may have solved this. Looks like I can open Adobe and go to edit/advance search and fill in the information and it will find all the files that contain what I am looking for. A couple didn't pull so I put the information in the metadata section and they showed up.

I think I just wasn't searching properly.

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Searchable PDF

Great - that is precisely the direction I was going to point you!  The Search feature is very powerful, and most people only seem use Find, which is considerably less capable, IMHO.

My best,

Dave