• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Synonym keywords coming from added JPEGs are ruining my keyword list

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I produce JPEG version of my DNG files to upload to my portfolio site ... and I add those JPEGs to my Lightroom catalog for cataloging purposes. These JPEG files have naturally the keywords that I added to the original DNGs. But, after adding those JPEGs to my catalog, the synonym keywords coming from the original DNG files are ruining my keyword list ... each synonym keyword is appearing as a separate main entry in my keyword list.

How have you solved or worked around this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue that has plagued synonyms since first introduced. I get round it by disabling synonyms on exit. You can access below dialog by right-mouse clicking on keywords with synonyms, then choose 'Edit Keyword Tag'

export keyword.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So ... by unclicking "export synonyms", practically you don't use the synonym keywords at all, isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the synonyms still apply within the catalog, you just don't allow them to export. Also, when you import an image with a keyword matching one in Lr that has a synonym, then Lr will automatically assigns the associated synonym. The downside is that any images you send to others will be missing the synonym.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, there is an option "put new keywords inside this keyword" which can be seen by right clicking on any keyword. I created a trash keyword and selected the above "put new bla bla" option for this keyword. But, it is not working as expected ... new keywords coming from added JPEGs are not put inside my trash keyword.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This option is for new keywords added to images already in your catalog. For example, say you had a keyword 'New York and a bunch of images all taken somewhere in New York. First you right click on New York, then enable 'Put new keywords inside this keyword'. Next you select images taken in Times Square, type the keyword 'Times Square'. This new keyword will be listed under 'New York'. As such, you've started to build a keyword hierarchy under New York

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see ... thanks a lot Ian.

Most likely, I will sacrifice the synonyms for exported files like you ... or I will sweep my list every time I add a keyworded JPEG to my catalog.

Would having such a trash keyword for the keywords coming from the newly added and already keyworded files be great?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alp, please add your constructive opinion to this feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Better handling of exporting and reimporting keyword synonyms | Photoshop Family Customer... . Be sure to click Vote in the upper-right corner. Though it's an old request, Adobe ​has acted on some old requests in LR 7 (we can always hope!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines