Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slight brush lag

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fellow photoshopers,

I usually work on large illustrations (up to about 4k pixels each side, up to ten layers) or on storyboard work with is a full hd image with up to 300 layers.

After receiving the new 4k resolution Cintiq I started noticing that I have slight lag when drawing. It's not very noticeable but I can feel it when I draw and I can see it clearly when I recorded the screen in slow motion with a phone.

I use 2016 MacBook Pro with quad core 2.9 GHz cpu, Radeon Pro 460 and 16 gb ram. I have looked into the settings to make sure photoshop is optimized for the work I do and uses gpu. I have also tried resetting preferences.

So I believe the bottleneck might be the computer itself? Is it the gpu, and should I get an egpu or is something else? In fact maybe having a slight brush lag normal for photoshop?

Thanks,

Alex

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex,

As you're experiencing a brush lag, could you please let us know which version of Photoshop you're working on and which operating system are you using?

Could you please try resetting the preferences of Photoshop and let us know if it helps with the issue?
Preferences in Photoshop

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the latest Photoshop CC and the latest Mac OS High Sierra.

I have tried resetting preferences but it didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for providing the information, could you please try enabling the root user account on your mac and let us know if you experience a lag in that account as well?  Steps to enable root user: How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password - Apple Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of cable are you using to connect your macbook to your external monitor?

I had a similar issue with my 2016 MacbookPro hooked up to a Samsung 4k display... my cursor was lagging ever so slightly - enough to be annoying once I picked up on it, specially in Photoshop and Illustrator..  I switched out the HDMI cable for a DisplayPort to Thunderbolt 3 cable and the lagging is gone.  The DisplayPort cable handles a better refresh rate (60Hz) vs the HDMI cable (30Hz)..

Here's what I ended up getting/using:

StarTech CDP2DPMM6B USB C to DisplayPort Cable - 6 ft. / 2m - USB-C DisplayPort Cable  - USB Type C ...

Hope that helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a new mac os using High Sierra  10.13.3
photoshop 19.1.4

I got a brush lag that is absolute murder for your product.
I've never had this happen in 12 years.

It worked like a charm when I first got the system 2 months ago.

What do I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All,

Could you please update Photoshop to 20.0.1 update via Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and check if that helps to fix the brush lag issue.

Also, please refer the following to check what's new in Photoshop CC 2019: New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines