• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open CSHTML in Dreamweaver

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to open a .cshtml file in Dreamweaver from the file > open menu? If I go to the file in the Finder I can right click and open w/ Dreamweaver, but not the other way round. I've added the extension in Preferences > File Types > Open in Code View, but this does nothing. I've attempted to append or overwrite the Extensions.txt file, but am blocked from doing this (presumably because it's on Creative Cloud?). Any help is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

MAGilchrist  wrote

Hi, I'm using: Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2018 > configuration > Extensions.txt

That is the wrong location and won't affect the current installation of DW under your user account.

You need to turn on your OS's Hidden Files, then go to ...

C: > Users > your username > AppData (normally hidden) > Roaming > Adobe > Dreamweaver (version) > your language > Configuration > Extensions.txt

On Mac, the path is also hidden...

Mac HD > Users > username > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Dream

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud is a bit of a misnomer.

DW is installed locally, it is not cloud-based software. If you're having issues with finding or modifying a file, it will be due to the process you're using, or user account issues on your local OS.

What instructions are you using and where is the process failing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thank you. Actually, as of this I was able to access Extensions.txt and MMDocumentTypes.xml. I added the cshtml extension to both, but the issue remains. I cannot file > open in Dreamweaver. Only through right click and choosing Dreamweaver as the opening program will they actually open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Between my last reply and now, I added the .cshtml extension to my DWCC2018.1 in Windows 7 to verify it could still be done.

It shows and opens when selected within DW from both the Files window, and from File > Open > filename.cshtml

Which instructions are you following, you may have inadvertently skipped a step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened the file and added the extension to the first line. Perhaps it needs to go elsewhere? This is as it appears after my edit:

HTM,HTML,SHTM,SHTML,CSHTML,XHTML,STM,SSI,JS,JSON,APPCACHE,XML,XSL,XSD,DTD,RSS,RDF,LBI,DWT,ASP,ASA,ASPX,ASCX,ASMX,CONFIG,CS,CSS,SCSS,LESS,SASS,CFM,CFML,CFC,TLD,TXT,PHP,PHP3,PHP4,PHP5,PHP-DIST,PHTML,TPL,VB,INC,SQL,MASTER,SVG:All Documents

HTM,HTML,HTA,HTC,XHTML:HTML Documents

SHTM,SHTML,STM,SSI,INC:Server-Side Includes

JS:JavaScript Documents

XML,DTD,XSD,XSL,XSLT,RSS,RDF:XML Files

LBI:Library Files

DWT:Template Files

CSS,SCSS,LESS,SASS:Style Sheets

ASP,ASA:Active Server Pages

ASPX,ASCX,ASMX,CS,VB,CONFIG,MASTER:Active Server Plus Pages

CFM,CFML,CFC:ColdFusion Templates

APPCACHE:Manifest

HTACCESS:Directory Configuration File

TXT:Text Files

PHP,PHP3,PHP4,PHP5,TPL,PHP-DIST,PHTML:PHP Files

TLD:Tag Library Descriptor Files

SQL:SQL Files

VTM,VTML:VTML Files

SVG:Scalable Vector Graphics Files

JSON:Json Files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that appears to be the right file. What's the location/file path of the one you are modifying?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MAGilchrist  wrote

That is the wrong location and won't affect the current installation of DW under your user account.

You need to turn on your OS's Hidden Files, then go to ...

C: > Users > your username > AppData (normally hidden) > Roaming > Adobe > Dreamweaver (version) > your language > Configuration > Extensions.txt

On Mac, the path is also hidden...

Mac HD > Users > username > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Dreamweaver (version) > Configuration > Extension.txt

It must be the version of the file under "Library", not "Applications"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are a genius! Thank you so much for the help. Truly truly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MAGilchrist  wrote

Is it possible to open a .cshtml file in Dreamweaver from the file > open menu? If I go to the file in the Finder I can right click and open w/ Dreamweaver, but not the other way round. I've added the extension in Preferences > File Types > Open in Code View, but this does nothing. I've attempted to append or overwrite the Extensions.txt file, but am blocked from doing this (presumably because it's on Creative Cloud?). Any help is appreciated.

If I understand you properly, You are trying to treat a CSHTML file in exactly the same manner as an HTML file in the latest version of Dreamweaver.. If this is not a correct interpretation, please ignore the rest. Otherwise, all you need to do is in Edit > Preferences and add the file as per

This will allow you to open the file.

To get the same code colouring as for HTML, open the following file in Dreamweaver

and add the extension to the bottom of the file so that it reads similar to

"brackets-eslint.useLocalESLint": false,

"language.fileExtensions": {

"twig": "html",

"cshtml": "html"

}

}

Don't include TWIG if you have no need for it. I have it for some of my work and don't forget the comma after 'false' in the previous line.

Restart Dreamweaver and the behaviour will be the same as HTML documents.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much appreciated, but when I select Dreamweaver I'm told I cannot us DW as an external editor and to choose a different application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure, I made a new entry for .cshtml with the following result

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. While I'm on a Mac, the paths to the application should be the same/similar. I continue to receive the same error that I cannot use DW as an external editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines