• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker on a Mac?

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the FrameMaker subscription run online? Does this mean I can use a Mac to access it?

Thanks, Joyce

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the software runs on your device, requiring Windows.

Having said that, I've run FrameMaker exclusively on my Mac under vmware Fusion for years.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Is the FrameMaker subscription run online?

FM is not a cloud app. I have no particular guesses about whether it might ever become one. As I recall, Adobe at one time had an on-line demo mode for FM that was a pretty good mimic of a cloud version, if somewhat slow (as would have been expected for the time).

re: Does this mean I can use a Mac to access it?

As inferred by TCT, you would need to run the Windows version of FM under Windows 7 or 10 in a virtual machine on the Mac (x86 Mac). There are any number of people doing this, so it's not that much of a hack.

A native Mac version of FM is another future possibility, I suppose (it's asked for often enough), but running the current Windows version in a VM is the near-term solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joyce:

I normally run VMware Fusion in full screen mode so all you can see is Windows & FrameMaker when I'm on that specific desktop, but I resized the Fusion window slightly so that you can see that FrameMaker is running on my Mac. Other popular options are Parallels and Bootcamp—all three apps allow you to install Windows on a Mac, allowing you to use FrameMaker and other Windows-only applications. I've been doing this for many years—I use multiple Mac desktops (aka Spaces) so I can just slide over to Windows when I need it—it's the best of both worlds.

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-04-18 15.04.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb 

I  currently following your FM training tutorials online and need to update my computer system.   Applying for a job postion that requires me to have FrameMaker and photo shop experience.  However I was having issues. Downloading FrameMaker onto my Mac computer I see you've suggested a few app options. Are these fairly easy to install and use? I don't want to spend a lot of money on a Mac computer if I'm just gonna run across issues with my free maker program which I'm going to be required to use for this job then I might as well buy a Microsoft enabled system but I have everything Mac so I'd be really happy to keep using a Mac computer. I'm just not sure how to integrate the FrameMaker program onto the Mac so if you have any pointers or more help as to how I can use those third-party apps so that I can use Microsoft products on my Mac I'd be forever grateful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're going to run FM on a Mac you need to install a virtual machine program to host Windows where FM will run. There's no native FM for the Mac anymore (long time in the past).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pamela:

That's an old post—from 2018—and the new Macs (M1s, M2s) don't allow us to run Windows on a VM. I tried waiting it out, but ended up buying a Windows system just for FrameMaker. I'm hopeful that this this will change, but for now, it's the only option. 😞

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh ok that's what I was wondering.  Would u have some reccomondatikns for windows systems you'd re commend ?  I'll be working with photoshop , paint , word , Excel and framemaker 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Dell XPS 13" laptop that I like very much. I got it with a dock so that I can hook up a couple of external monitors to it. I suggest that you get at least 32GB of RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I'm on an HP Spectre laptop with Win 11—also docked. I don't care for the keyboard/trackpad, so rely on external input devices.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Pamela,

Bottom line: I like my pre-M1/M2 setup, including touch bar (that I never use) with $$ spent on peripherals instead.

While the M1/M2 Macs are nice, I haven't felt the need to upgrade from my 2019 setup.

I do any/all video editing and Creative Cloud work on the Mac and am quite happy with the performance.

I connect a 4k monitor, Logitech webcam, studio mic, external keyboard, and mouse to my machine.

For PC, I run vmware Fusion. I'm sure there's some difference in actual speeds for Windows, but I can't tell the difference.

I confidently use this setup for paid client work (including for Adobe) and for all webinar and recorded software demos, including those done directly for Adobe.

-Matt

MattSTechCommTools_1-1702575881962.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines