Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

Using HB Pavillon Series PC

Sony DCR-HC85 digital video camera

.avi is 720 x 480 wide screen 30 fps

Premiere Elements 12

I Have edited a number of programs with no issues except the occasional pop up screen asking where a certain file is before opening the current project.. I know typically that I have moved, deleted or renamed files or folders that where imported into the project..

This is something I can't get my head around to ask at one point where did I rename or move files? 

A little background, my wife and I went to Yellowstone Park in spring of 2017 wonderful trip.. Shot seven cassettes of tape, downloaded them to the program using several folders for convenience.. I had completed about 1 1/2 hrs. onto the  time line, all worked out well.  Pushed the "Save" button on the top right corner and closed out.  At a later time I would open up the program and continue to add to the time line, no issues.

I used an external H/D to backup program or project by clicking on the Adobe icon (purple "Pre")  and sent it to the ext. H/D.  This is where I think I messed up.

A Few days later opened up the project on my PC (not from the ext. H/D) and find everything on the time line is "off line" including audio.  All my work segments are there but no A/V.  I have had this issue before and by fluke re-linked the missing files but didn't make note of my steps.

Opening the program in the external hard drive gave me the same results. Basically I need to know how to properly back up my project.

Please use small steps in helping me to fully understand what is taking place so when it happens again it will be an easy fix.....sure!

Thank you for your reply,

Gil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please provide more detail about your sentence, "I used an external H/D to backup program or project by clicking on the Adobe icon (purple "Pre")  and sent it to the ext. H/D.  This is where I think I messed up."

I'm on a lot newer version and the choices under my purple "Pre", do not include anything relating to backing up or sending to an external HDD.  If you can be more detailed about your steps and even include screen shots, it would help.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bill,

Thanks for your reply. I have three photos on my desktop (thumb nail size) but not sure how to shrink them down unto my reply sheet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_4013.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_4012.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_4011.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

Will check in with you tomorrow with more info.

Thanks

Gil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is going to be a struggle for me because you are using software from 5 years ago. 

Basically, there are no video files in a digital video editior "project".  Instead there are links to source media and the editing process makes markers where you have edits.  Move the project or the source media and the link is broken.  Premiere Elements tells you that the link is broken with the error messages you are showing.

During editing real time preview files are generated.  During output a slower re-read of the media is conducted to produce output to your specifications.  Hundreds of files can be generated behind the scenes.

Somehow you have to put things back where they were or re-link them.  To put them back, you have to figure out where you put the source files, if you deleted them or renamed them.   To re-link them there is a tool supplied, but you have to tell it where to look.

Step one, is figuring out where the files are.  In other words, how and where did you move them.  Your screen shots are not explaining that.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bill,

I get confused in how to or look for the original source files. In the past I would save my work and close out.  After completion I would burn to a disk or stick.  When it came to doing a backup I would connect  "Seagate 4TB" external hard drive and on my desktop right click my project icon  (the one with purple "pre") and in the drop down box click on "send too".  On opening the external drive and clicking on the project icon my program would begin to run.  But I'm not really sure if the external drive was connecting itself with my "C" drive and loading it from there.

Could it have been when I moved the program or project to the external drive, the files may have been re-named etc.  and if so how to change it back ?

Gil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines