Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble with Text frames and Word

Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all,

I'm using the latest InDesign and I'm having an issue I've never encountered before. I am importing a word document that contains a book of poetry. When I import the text and begin flowing it, it comes in but after a few pages the link shows as broken.

I've tried a few things:

1. checked for track changes

2. removed page breaks

3. changed the font before importing and then after importing

For the life of me, I don't know what I'm missing here but believe it's something I'll feel stupid about in a few.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Thank you Everyone! I actually went through and found it was a strange conflict in the paragraph styles, which should have been my first place to look but I was a little brain dead by the end of the day. Because of the playful formatting of the poetry, I wanted to keep as much of the author's paragraph styles in-tact but that was causing things to go crazy.

As for the broken link, what I meant was that it looked like the photo below. Once I cleaned up the paragraph style sheets in InDesign, this

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<< after a few pages the link shows as broken>>

What link is this?

Can you describe this in more detail?

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to a link within the Word document, like maybe a link to a web page? Or are you referring to a link to the Word document itself, which would show in the Links panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Duncan:

When I import the text and begin flowing it, it comes in but after a few pages the link shows as broken.

InDesign can "link" a story to the original Word file, so that if you update the file in Word, the InDesign story will update. This is turned on in Preferences. It's not a very common workflow in InDesign so I'm making a guess that you are trying to tell us  that the text is overset?

Screenshot 2018-04-20 07.02.39.png

I would start by selecting the last visible word or sentence, and then choose Type > Edit in Story Editor. Be sure Type > Show Hidden Characters is turned on. What do you see in Story Editor after the last visible text? Any column or page break characters? Is it followed by a heading with Keep Options on? Showing us a screen shot of what you see will help us help you diagnose the problem.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Everyone! I actually went through and found it was a strange conflict in the paragraph styles, which should have been my first place to look but I was a little brain dead by the end of the day. Because of the playful formatting of the poetry, I wanted to keep as much of the author's paragraph styles in-tact but that was causing things to go crazy.

As for the broken link, what I meant was that it looked like the photo below. Once I cleaned up the paragraph style sheets in InDesign, this problem was resolved.

file.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's so interesting. I've never seen that particular icon before.

Anyway, glad you are back on track, and happy weekend to you.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines