• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Enhance guides to allow angled/perspective guides

LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why just horizontal or vertical guide lines? why don't you introduce angular guides or perhaps a function like the one in illustratore "make guide" ?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Thanks for the suggestions. Be sure to hit the UpVote button at the top of the page if you'd like to see tools for perspective guides/grids and drawing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 104 Replies 104
104 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joel, I totaly agree to your request. And the weird thing is that Adobe offers such tools already, but only in Adobe Sketch! Why only providing such tool  in e cheap app für Ipad dabbler and not to design-professionals that paid a great deal of money for photoshop?!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often have to angle product photos at 45 degrees and it would great if a diagonal guide could be added. It could simply be turned on or off in the preferences allowing for quick editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop is long over do for a perspective grid tool. I wonder if it will ever get one. Most art programs have them these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the other Artists on this forum, Photoshop has seriously fallen behind in this area. As an illustrator I tend to have to use multiple programs, switching between Sketchbook and Corel painter. Both have this extremely useful feature. On the ipad Procreate and adobe line CC has it (similar but not quite as good). Sketch CC and Sketchbook also has the ability to use brushes, erasers to draw around shapes such as French Curves and ellipses. The vanishing point filter is way to clumsy and unintuitive. It ‘s primary use for me is cloning bricks or other architectural features, certainly not drawing. I would like to see a dedicated 1,2 and 3 point perspective sketch tool which is a feature and not hidden away under menus. Hopefully someone from Adobe is listening, however I am not holding my breath. After all it’s taken until CC 2018 to have folder sets for brushes. Glad to see stroke assist (smoothing) implemented though. Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! PLEASE, ADOBE, DO THIS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People have been requesting this for 7 years. Let's throw one more onto the fire!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy,

I’m curious if anyone has heard anything about Photoshop CC 2018 getting any of the perspective grid or snapping rulers added to it? Because havping recently purchased an upgraded IPad with the pencil and started using Adobe Sketch and seeing it has these features really makes me wish for them in the full version.

As nice as Lazi Numi is, it is still clunky at times, making me port projects back and forth from Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro when doing perspective illustrations. Because Sketchbook Pro has great perspective and French curve tools.

Thanks if if anyone has heard anything of this happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two feature come to mind vanishing point and perspective warp.  Have you checked out these Photoshop features?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware of those and they are not quite the same as the perspective grid tool in Adobe Sketch where you set the perspective how you want and can draw in perspective when using the ruler. The ruler snaps into perspective based on where you set it and mimics using traditional pencils and rulers as you draw a line.

If I'm missing something within Photoshop that can replicate that please share. I am also aware of using paths to create grids but the Adobe Sketch version of taking the guess work out while being able to draw a straight line in perspective is great.

I appreciate your response though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a big fan of drawing on my iPad pro using Adobe Sketch. but I also have a Surface Book and can run full Photoshop. but I miss the perspective tools and the pure simplicity of sketching in Sketch. I've seen arguments about not porting Sketch to Windows because you can 'just use Photoshop' but they are not the same. id love a 'interface' of within photo shop that acts like more like Sketch. perspective tools, simple interface, rulers, etc.

Or of course a Windows version of sketch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, can I make an angled guide line in photo shop CC 2018?

Thx

catmen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As c.pfaffenbichler said you can't angle guidelines, but as a workaround you could draw lines on a separate layer, e.g with the line shape tool and then turn off visibility when you are done.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years are flying, and Adobe has not yet made diagonal guides in Photoshop. Please Adobe, do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe

Many thanks for developing mirror painting into your software. Best new feature in many years.

I'd like to suggest a new feature that allows you to paint on perspective grids in the same manner that Corel Painter does. Something that allows you to move the position of vanishing points in 1, 2 and 3 point perspective. And to one up Corel.. Add the ability to paint on an Isometric grid. Then you are looking after your concept artists and gamers. Make it happen folks! Good luck.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be cool if Photoshop had some perspective grid tools. I spend a lot of time working out vanishing points and lines and not enough time drawing. =/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope so aswell. Its in adobe sketch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Would very much so like the features in adobe sketch. Im curious why photoshop included it in an app but not in the mainline project. I Hope they do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to draw a guide at an angle, as shown by the orange line in the screen shot below.  Is there a way to do this?  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not directly - but you can of course draw guides on an empty layer and then just delete it when you are done

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im learning to paint digitally with photoshop at the moment and have encountered the topic of perspective

it seems people are using custom brushes or modified polygons to create perspective grids to work from.

this seems like a bit of a hack way to do things for a program which is so powerful such as photoshop.

it seems like quite an omission for photoshop not to have perspective tools / rulers , that you can snap your lines to etc.

i have posted this in feature requests just now, but im posting here aswell because i would like feedback from other users as to what they think.  hopefully someone will tell me that iv got it all wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You can make a perspective grid in the vanishing point filter.

Add an empty layer.

Open the vanishing point filter.

Layout the grids

Go to the menu at the top left of the filter then choose "Render Grids to Photoshop"

Click OK and the perspective grid will be drawn on your empty layer

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Photoshop do you have?

djmattyz  wrote

it seems people are using custom brushes or modified polygons to create perspective grids to work from.

this seems like a bit of a hack way to do things...

How old are those articles?

There are lots of different  ways to do things in Photoshop.  Some people prefer one method over another out of  habit or just not knowing any other way to do it.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate