• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suggestions - rig and animate multiple vector Character Animations

Contributor ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically have a bunch of characters like this... Set Business Characters Working Office Vector Stock Vector 583789495 - Shutterstock

And I need to animate some walking, some talking, some hand movements etc... My thought was to 'rig' one character than apply that rig to all the other characters, but not sure if DUIK, Character Animator, or some other tool is the best method... Any suggestions on how you would approach this? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Just a quick update on this old thread. Going through DUIK 16 and discovered it is now a good tool for swapping out multiple characters while retaining the rig... check this vid by Jake

Duik 16 (Bassel) Jumpstart - After Effects Character Rigging - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't really just replace or duplicate a character and hope the rig keeps on working. Unfortunately the tools involved in character animation are too specific and neither AE nor Character Animator really implement them in a way they would produce reusable rigs, especialyl once stuff has been animated. Therefore I'd simply tackle this on a shot by shot basis. There seems little point in applying a complex walk rig to a character who will ever only raise a hand, anyway. It would be unnecessarily messy and choke performance due to how expressions in AE work for instance.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mylenium, yeah I understand what you mean... but there will be multiple characters requiring walk cycles and similar movements, so if there was a way to apply similar animations / rigs to another character that could potentially save heaps of time, but moving forward on one character at a time is what I am currently doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want a quick, easy way to animate your characters then Character Animtor is defi Troy the way to go. If you are an accomplished character animator and you are happy to spend more time on it then Duik, Rubber Hose and Puppet Tools are a more controlled option. Neither option is “easy” though so I recommend following a structured course before you begin. Let me know if you need some recommendations for good courses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for these thoughts Angie, 'quicker' is definitely preferable in this case, so will have to look into character animator at some stage! Definitely understand no option being necessarily easy though, haha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were using multiple characters with the same parts, but say, different heads, you could build with that in mind. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to make a duplicate rig with the swapped head. When you start dealing with body parts with different dimensions, you might be able to reuse animations, but you'd have to adjust the rigging to compensate for any difference in torso size, limb length, etc.

Depending on how your animation needs to look, you might be able to get away with creating one male body and one female, and doing some smart head swaps/body coloring to give variety.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Character animator is fantastic for a walk cycles. So I think it’s definitely your best bet. The character animator forum is a brilliant resource for advice tutorials et cetera. It’s a fantastic application I think you’ll love it! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please mark the answer that is correct so that this thread will be marked as resolved and others can easily find a solution thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Angie, I'll mark the correct answer after I finish the project as I'm still working through it and learning the different methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so the solution I went with was the good old Puppet tool. I found that it was the simplest and fastest method for this project.

Because a lot of the characters in this project had similar proportions (mainly varying colours and hairstyles) I precomped and applied the puppet tool to each body part. Then used a combination of simple rotations / transforms and the puppet tool to make walk cycles and movements.

For a new character I would duplicate a character comp and it's precomps (I used true Comp duplicator) and tweak the keyframes.

Capture.JPG

If the proportions are too different though you'll get some tearing where a body part (e.g. hair) is outside the predefined mesh (from the previous character). In that case I had to apply a new instance of puppet tool to that precomp and re-keyframe. But thankfully because each body part has it's own instance of the puppet tool I didn't need to re-keyframe the whole character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick update on this old thread. Going through DUIK 16 and discovered it is now a good tool for swapping out multiple characters while retaining the rig... check this vid by Jake

Duik 16 (Bassel) Jumpstart - After Effects Character Rigging - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines