• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dissolve from video to still image - how?

Contributor ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a simple project with old video footage without sound and some still images in jpeg.

I've put a series of still images at the start of the sequence, then some video clips with one still image somewhere in the middle between two video clips.

I've selected (somehow, I am a newbie so I don't recall exactly how I did all of them at once) everything and added the default (dissolve) transition. That has worked everywhere except for where the video clip is followed by a still. I've found on the net that this is normal behaviour for Premiere Pro, but I haven't found a way to get around this (there must be one). For once, my video material doesn't have 'unused bits at the start and the end, the 'handles') and the explanations I have found sometimes make use of that.

So, I'm turning to the forum myself: how can I get a dissolve from a video clip to a still clip? What steps do I need to follow?

I'm using CC on a Mac.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Hi ! please see attached video ...

01. use automate to sequence but be careful to select your clips using the command key in the order you want them to be on the timeline.. you can also set the durations and other parameters in the pop up panel after automating to sequence...

02. trim a bit to have enough frames at the end of a video to dissolve with the still image after ... right click after selecting all video clips in the project panel,

choose duration in the project panel and reduce it by 1

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ! please see attached video ...

01. use automate to sequence but be careful to select your clips using the command key in the order you want them to be on the timeline.. you can also set the durations and other parameters in the pop up panel after automating to sequence...

02. trim a bit to have enough frames at the end of a video to dissolve with the still image after ... right click after selecting all video clips in the project panel,

choose duration in the project panel and reduce it by 1 or 2 seconds or whatever the time of your transition by the end of the clip, this trims all videos by 1, 2 or whatever seconds at the end ... put them on the timeline and apply dissolve after selecting everything by the way Command + A selects all

both ways explained in the video here : Dropbox - dissolve.mp4

Dropbox - dissolve02.mp4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the second way. I did not download the mp4's because I never download something like this for security reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an additional question. I have a nested sequence that also starts with a still image. When I add that nested image to a sequence after a still image, I cannot create a dissolve transition between the still image and the following nested sequence that starts with a still image. Is there a way around that? I can create such a dissolve if I do not nest the second part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the project panel, choose your still image first, then, holding command select your nested sequence and drag both of

them to icon that shows 'automate to sequence' at the lower right of the project panel, this will drop them both

into the sequence with the default transition in between (which should be cross dissolve). You can also set your own

default transition within an automated sequence by right clicking on any of the transitions and choose 'make default'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines