3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2008 1:31 PM by Newsgroup_User

Shockwave player does not install

Indentured_Servant
      I have a number of Windows XP SP2 computers that are anywhere from 1 month old to 8-10 months old that are exhibiting this problem.
      I have a disk authored in Director MX2004 (10.1.1) that runs fine on most all computers that I play it in. There are a number of computers that are giving a window saying that Shockwave player 10 is not installed and needs to be installed. When you click OK, it appears that Shockwave is installing.

When we try to re-run the disk, we receive the same message. I have had the user uninstall the Shockwave player client (through Windows control panel) and install the standalone executable. Still no love.

I found that the application runs with (and requests) Shockwave v.10.2.0.023 (10.2.0.022 works as well). The problem recurs with version 11.0r429.

*Edit*
      Further investigation reveals that if Shockwave 10.x was installed and you upgrade to version 11.x, the disks will work. The only time that we receive the error is if you have a fresh install of Shockwave 11.x installed.

Incidentally, the error says that you need Shockwawve 10 installed to run the package. When you click on the OK button, you are directed to the download site for Shockwave 10.2.0.023. The version is listed in the download page, however when Shockwave installs, version 11.x is being pushed.
        • 1. Re: Shockwave player does not install
          Level 7
          > I have a number of Windows XP SP2 computers that are anywhere from 1 month old
          > to 8-10 months old that are exhibiting this problem.
          > I have a disk authored in Director MX2004 (10.1.1) that runs fine on most all
          > computers that I play it in. There are a number of computers that are giving a
          > window saying that Shockwave player 10 is not installed and needs to be
          > installed. When you click OK, it appears that Shockwave is installing.

Whoever authored the content didn't provide the required libraries or
          xtras for the projector. That is, they attempted to create a so-called
          fast-start projector but neglected a critical component. The sensible
          option is to figure out which piece of the puzzle is missing and
          re-create the CD
          • 2. Shockwave player does not install
            Indentured_Servant Level 1
            Hi Sean,
            I appreciate the input. I bought and installed Director MX 2004 (a while back) and I copied off the contents of the disk to my HDD and found and placed iml32.dll, dirapi.dll and proj.dll and the CD is exhibiting the same behavior. Are those the only library files that I would need to have in the folder to make the projector work? If it were just Xtras that the projector needed, wouldn't they just be downloaded?
            Also, (after much digging and learning), if the required libraries were not included in the projector, then the CD would not have run on Shockwave 10 (at least I am pretty sure). That is where I am confused. If we had seen issues on version 10, then I would understand, but not when we can run the CD on version 10 and not 11.
            As a side note, it is interesting that there was some part of Shockwave 10 that was obviously not included on 11. If you have 10 installed, it runs. If you have version 10 and you upgrade to version 11 it will run. Finally, if you have version 11 and the CD is not working, all you need to do is install version 10 and the CD will work. If you have a fresh Shockwave installation of 11 and attempt to install 10, unlike many programs, even though it is older it will install and run concurrently (I don not think that you can do that with Flash). Also, if you have 10 installed and upgrade to 11, there are still many version 10 folders and files that are left in place which is also unusual.
            I know that Director and Shockwave do not have the attention (let alone the cash flow of Flash) but it seems that the upgrade path to 11 was not completely thought through. Don't get me wrong, I love Shockwave but it seems like it is sort of the red-headed step-child that is slowly being moth-balled even though Adobe is obviously putting some effort into it.
            • 3. Re: Shockwave player does not install
              Level 7
              > iml32.dll, dirapi.dll and proj.dll and still no luck.

You need those as well as msvcrt.dll AND any xtras the projector relies on.