7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2008 3:41 PM by RMAX

mailto opens Browser on Mac

Tatzator
      When i use
      on (release) {getURL("mailto:info@mahonimusic.de");}
      in an Offline-Project (DVD), only on Mac the Script calls the primary Mailer, but it opens a Window in the primary WebBrowser too. It works like it should on Windows Machines.
      I read in many Forums about the Phenomenon - but no Solution.
      There must be a Solution - it would very crazy, if not.
      Any Ideas?
      ( please sorry for my cruel English - thanks)
        • 1. Re: mailto opens Browser on Mac
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          that's problem on your mac, not flash. flash calls your default email problem with that code. you mac's default email is setup to open both your mailer and web browser.
          • 2. Re: mailto opens Browser on Mac
            Tatzator Level 1
            Are You sure?
            The Problem appears only in a local Player.exe, not in an embedded SWF-File included in HTML. So it looks like a Flash-Problem.
            And - what is the solution? ;-)
            • 3. Re: mailto opens Browser on Mac
              i'm not sure how you came to that conclusion because that adds more evidence that it's a local setting problem.
              • 4. Re: mailto opens Browser on Mac
                Tatzator Level 1
                But it appers on any Mac i use the DVD with the Player.exe: my own Laptop, my iMac at Work, Colleagues Macs - and at Customers Macs (and thats the Main-Problem). Are thy all misconfiguration?
                • 5. Re: mailto opens Browser on Mac
                  i'm unable to say. but that's the most likely problem. i do not own a mac so i cannot say anything with certainty.

what i do know if that the getURL("mailto:..") function calls the host computers default email problem. and i do know the most common complaint of users is that it doesn't work on some computers. and i do know that's because some computers do not have a default email program.
                  • 6. Re: mailto opens Browser on Mac
                    Tatzator Level 1
                    We tested this Problem on 16 iMacs, PowerBooks, MacBooks and Mac Pro with diferent System Versions.
                    They have a default E-Mail-Program: it's called "Mail".
                    But it makes no difference, if they are in the original Configuration or with an other E-Mail-Program. The Problem is there every Time.

Is there no workaround?
                    • 7. mailto opens Browser on Mac
                      RMAX
                      i'm guessing a bit but i think mailto: is in fact a browser feature. By using getURL in flash you ask for a browser to do something, got to an url, run javascript, or in this case, to start a mailprogram via mailto:.
                      MS probably just put the mailto: command somewhat in front of the actual browser since the file-explorer and IE are somewhat linked / sharing bits in windows.. maybe there is another way of activating the email on a mac.. but i doubt the flash player can run / initiate other programs then just the browser..