3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2018 2:36 PM by dj_paige

Lost original files in Lightroom

davidp30306924

Hi - I recently experienced a problem that led to me having to uninstall and then reinstall MacOSHighSierra on my iMac. I did not have an external hard drive that could back up the old system (the problem prevented me accessing the computer), and the various Lightroom Back-Ups were also 'lost' when my hard drive was wiped clean in order to reinstall High Sierra (won't bore you with the details - Im embarrassed enough already!).

I have retained all of my memory cards - and after I re downloaded Creative Cloud, it has only uploaded all of my iPhone photos. Lightroom stills contains the numerous 'Collections' I've made of projects / worthy photos but the Collections are 'empty' (even though I can still see all of my edited files - photographs on my iPad and iPhone versions of Lightroom.

Can anyone advise me of the steps i now need to take to restore all of my photos from Camera (RAW)? and explain why I can't still see the edited files/photos on my iMac when I can see them on iPad/Phone??

Thanks. David (Nottingham)

• 1. Re: Lost original files in Lightroom
          dj_paige Level 10

I guess a few things aren't clear to me.

Do you have the catalog file from before the reinstall of the OS?? Yes or No?

Do you have your original photos (or exact backups)?? Yes or No?

Also, please state the exact version NUMBER of Lightroom. We need the version NUMBER and not words like "current" or "most recent". Go to Help->System Info and report the version NUMBER of Lightroom shown there.

• 2. Re: Lost original files in Lightroom
            davidp30306924 Level 1

I’m using Lightroom Classic CC 7.3 release Camera RAW 10.3

I still have my original memory cards from my camera which I could ‘reimport’

I have what appears to be a partial catalogue that is rebuilding every time I switch LR on - the photos from my camera within this catalogue don’t contain the original edits I made in Lightroom. (The edits made on iPhone photos have been retained within this growing catalogue). So I guess to refine my question - is it possible to now use this recovering catalogue to re-synchronize with my earlier edits and collections?

My thanks David

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: Lost original files in Lightroom
              dj_paige Level 10

If you don't have the original catalog file from before the OS re-install, then I would say that most likely your edits are gone. But, I don't understand this:

I have what appears to be a partial catalogue that is rebuilding every time I switch LR on - the photos from my camera within this catalogue don’t contain the original edits I made in Lightroom.

Rebuilding in what sense? Can you describe what is happenening in detail? Did you import the photos into this catalog? (which would be the wrong thing to do)