1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 24, 2018 8:11 AM by Stan Jones

Premiere Pro CC 2018 updates

jendemawesome Level 1

Hi folks, I have a question for you.

I have always updated Premiere Pro with no problem. When I need to open old projects after the updates, the program always updates them for me so I can use them. I'm teaching students how to use a PP for a class and they are working with a 2018 version. One student has the version with the latest update that just came out (12.0 Kentos? That's what it says on her About Premiere Pro on her Lenovo), and one is using 12.0.0 on a Mac. The student who has not done the update can't use the sequence from the student who has. She just ended up exporting the project and making a new timeline.

So this worries me. My Premiere Pro has always updated my files for me. If I update my PP to the newest version, will it stop doing that? Why would it not just automatically update that project to work with the newer version the way mine always has?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2018 updates
          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The file conversion to a newer version is not fully automatic: you are prompted for a new file name.

There is no conversion to a previous version: the student without the upgrade cannot open the file from the student who has upgraded.

Traditionally, it was a full release that resulted in not being able to open a newer version. But the update from 12.0.1 to 12.1.0 does not allow opening a project saved in the newer version in the older one.

Edit: Note that the version number with the name (e.g. Version 12.0 Kentos) does not update the number. So I have version 12.1.1 (build 10), but it still says Version 12.0 Kentos. All together, Version 12 has updated through 12.0.0, 12.0.1, 12.1.0, and now 12.1.1.