5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2006 10:28 PM by Newsgroup_User

Pro uses what?

ClausBR
      Hi. Who knows the best pros uses Fireworks?
      I think have many merchandising over Photoshop. Fireworks dont have a customer sucess stories section. Why?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Pro uses what?
          Level 7
          Here is a good article by Stephane on this topic:

http://pixelyzed.com/pixelforge/whychoosefireworks/

alex

ClausBR wrote:
          > Hi. Who knows the best pros uses Fireworks?
          > I think have many merchandising over Photoshop. Fireworks dont have a customer sucess stories section. Why?
          >
          > Thanks.
          • 2. Re: Pro uses what?
            Level 7
            A l e x M a r i ñ o wrote:
            > Here is a good article by Stephane on this topic:
            >
            > http://pixelyzed.com/pixelforge/whychoosefireworks/
            >
            > alex

Thanks Alex.

You can also see the latest version of this article on Adobe's site here:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/why_fireworks.html

This is simply my own effort at showcasing and discussing the advantages
            of Fireworks but is not really a success story highlighting benefits
            working on a real world project (although the things I discuss there ARE
            real world key advantages).

There is a small customer successes section in Fireworks' product
            section but it's not as expansive as the same for other products:

http://www.adobe.com/products/fireworks/productinfo/customers/

--
            Stéphane Bergeron
            reach:connect:communicate
            www.webfocusdesign.com
            blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
            www.pixelyzed.com
            • 3. Re: Pro uses what?
              ageofem Level 1
              best pros ?

check these two sites

www.fireworksguruforum.com

www.geekforum.com
              • 4. Re: Pro uses what?
                Level 7
                There are several reasons why Photoshop has overshadowed Fireworks so
                strongly. First, is because it was first. Photoshop was the first true
                image editing program on the market so it had a huge head start by being the
                only program out there.

It is also the best, most feature filled program for editing images for
                print media and since print has been around a lot longer that web, there was
                a lot bigger customer base for it. In the recent past, Adobe has added a lot
                of web processing functionality to the program so it has kept up well with
                other similar applications.

Macromedia chose to head in the direction of web publishing and web
                optimization and in that media, Fireworks outshines Photoshop in many areas.

Add to that the fact that Adobe was a much more recognized name in general
                (Macromedia is champ only among the web publishing community) and the
                marketing abilities of the larger company and the result is a product that
                is now a commonly used verb as well as a noun... (as in "I can photoshop
                that mole off your chin.")

So it comes down to which program you start out using and which one you are
                more comfortable with. It's like Word vs. Word Perfect. Both very capable
                word processing programs and the users of each will tell you why their
                choice is the best...

The biggest advantage of Fireworks over Photoshop for web development is its
                use as an automatic image processor in so many Dreamweaver extensions.

Original question... Pros use both.

"A l e x M a r i ñ o" <alSePxAmMar@mt.net> wrote in message
                news:ehtqck$s6s$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Here is a good article by Stephane on this topic:
                >
                > http://pixelyzed.com/pixelforge/whychoosefireworks/
                >
                > alex
                >
                > ClausBR wrote:
                >> Hi. Who knows the best pros uses Fireworks?
                >> I think have many merchandising over Photoshop. Fireworks dont have a
                >> customer sucess stories section. Why?
                >>
                >> Thanks.

• 5. Re: Pro uses what?
                  Level 7
                  Michael Hager wrote:
                  > There are several reasons why Photoshop has overshadowed Fireworks so
                  > strongly. First, is because it was first. Photoshop was the first
                  > true image editing program on the market so it had a huge head start
                  > by being the only program out there.

The thing is, Fireworks never competed with Photoshop directly. The two
                  apps have very different purposes and strengths. For me the main reason
                  Fireworks is not more recognized and appreciated is Macromedia's own
                  inept marketing.

> It is also the best, most feature filled program for editing images
                  > for print media and since print has been around a lot longer that
                  > web, there was a lot bigger customer base for it. In the recent past,
                  > Adobe has added a lot of web processing functionality to the program
                  > so it has kept up well with other similar applications.

Web processing (image slicing, optimizing and exporting) is only part of
                  the equation. Fireworks outshines Photoshop there but also in the actual
                  creative work too due to its hybrid vector/raster workflow which makes
                  editing more precise and faster. Vector based apps in general have a
                  huge advantage over Photoshop for any kind of layout work.

> Add to that the fact that Adobe was a much more recognized name in
                  > general (Macromedia is champ only among the web publishing community)

Macromedia was recognized for much longer than that and in other areas
                  than the Web. Don't forget that Macromedia developed Fontographer for
                  years and that FreeHand has long been the main print drawing application
                  over Illustrator. There was also that little app called Director...

> So it comes down to which program you start out using and which one
                  > you are more comfortable with. It's like Word vs. Word Perfect.
                  > Both very capable word processing programs and the users of each will
                  > tell you why their choice is the best...

To a point... To me it comes down to efficiency. I did start with
                  Photoshop and was comfortable with it but when i tried Fireworks it just
                  made more sense and I switched. I always felt that Photoshop was
                  completely inadequate as a layout app anyway.

> The biggest advantage of Fireworks over Photoshop for web development
                  > is its use as an automatic image processor in so many Dreamweaver
                  > extensions.

Actually that is a very minor advantage. The main advantage to most of
                  its users is the flexibility and power of its hybrid vector/raster toolset.

> Original question... Pros use both.

I use Photoshop very little anymore and only for tasks it really is best
                  suited for like heavy image manipulation and correction. For any kind of
                  design and layout work I use Fireworks (Web) or Illustrator and InDesign
                  (print) with occasional help from FreeHand MX.

--
                  Stéphane Bergeron
                  reach:connect:communicate
                  www.webfocusdesign.com
                  blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
                  www.pixelyzed.com