• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Consecutive Numbering across a FrameMaker book (Title edited for brevity)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a automated way to make numbering consecutive across the files in a book for tables, figures, and headings? The Format-Document-Numbering dialog does it for chapter numbers and footnote numbers with the "continue numbering from previous" option, but that's it. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

FrameMaker allows you to change the numbering at the file level using the Format > Document > Numbering command, or by right-clicking on one or more selected files within a book.

If the options specified in the book differ at all from the options specified in the individual files, you get the "Inconsistent Numbering Properties" dialog.

It's a little disconcerting, but it really just says that if the parent file (the book) and the child file(s) differ, FrameMaker will trust the settings specified b

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tony:

Absolutely. The general workflow is to the define the numbering for your template or first chapter—set up auto-numbering for Headings, Figures and Tables. Test to make sure they are set up correctly.

Here are a few resources on setting up the specific numbering you are asking about that I wrote up for my students, but they assume a basic understanding of auto-numbering, as you would learn in an Intro to FrameMaker class:

Adobe FrameMaker: Numbered Headings - Rocky Mountain Training

Adobe FrameMaker: Numbered Headings, Continued - Rocky Mountain Training

Once you get it working, use the same numbering for all of the subsequent chapters, but don't be concerned that they all show 1s—each Fm file thinks it is chapter 1 until you put them into the book window and tell them to update sequentially.

As a new user, you will want to first focus on learning how auto-numbering works, and then learn how to use the book window commands.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb.

Thanks for the quick response.

I understand how to set up numbering within a given file. What I want is for the numbering to continue in the next file.

My table numbers and figure numbers don't have the chapter number in front of them. I want them to start at 1 and go up from there across all the chapters/files in the book. So if chapter 1 has 3 tables in it, then the first table in chapter 2 is table number 4, and so on.  How do I get the numbering to go sequentially consecutive across the different files in the book?  Is there a book window command that specifies that the numbering should continue from the previous chapter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tony, are you saying that you've already set your Paragraph settings to Continue Numbering from Previous Paragraph in Book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I haven't set paragraph numbering to continue from previous.  If I do that will it make the table and figure numbers consecutive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this should fix your problem.

However, if you change the numbering properties at the chapter level, rather than the book level (as Barb described) then you'll likely encounter an Inconsistent Numbering Properties message when you update.

This is FrameMaker's way of telling you that the Book numbering settings  don't match the File numbering settings, and that you should set numbering from the book file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks it worked!

I did get the inconsistent numbering properties message though. I don't fully understand what it means. Can you please explain more....?  Within each chapter I had simply specified the table number as <n+>, So I don't understand what is inconsistent....I don't know what you mean by "changing the numbering properties at the chapter level"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To standardize the numbers for the book, follow the steps in my post that begins with "Congrats!"

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FrameMaker allows you to change the numbering at the file level using the Format > Document > Numbering command, or by right-clicking on one or more selected files within a book.

If the options specified in the book differ at all from the options specified in the individual files, you get the "Inconsistent Numbering Properties" dialog.

It's a little disconcerting, but it really just says that if the parent file (the book) and the child file(s) differ, FrameMaker will trust the settings specified by the parent (book) file.

It all boils down to this: If you set your numbers from the book file, update your book, and save all open files, you're all set!!

Glad to help,

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tony:

Congrats! The hard part by far is the auto-numbering. The book part is more straightforward.

Are your chapters already listed in the book window? In that case, click on chapter 2 in the book window, hold the Shift key and click on the final chapter, then right click the selection > Numbering Properties. You will want to review the settings for Chapter numbers, Paragraph numbers and check the Page number tab while you are in there. All should be set to Continue Numbering from Previous.

Chapter 1 should be set to Restart for each of the three categories, of course.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't set the paragraph numbering to continue from previous - is that going to fix my table and figure numbers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but it goes back to making sure that they were set up correctly to support this workflow.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines