• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing ipad or Sony EX3 (mp4s) only getting audio after import.

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, just updated to the newest Premiere 12.1.1 and when I import/drag/pull from browser, any ipad(mov) or Sony ex3(mp4) footage..it only imports the audio with no video. Older version- works just fine.

Anybody having this issue? and any work arounds, besides converting to another format..(which will take to much time)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problems with EX1R, PMW320 files imported using Media Browser on a Win10 machine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a mac pro..even when I open the adobe browser, it does not even see the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you transferring the files from the sxs card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No..I moved them to an external thunderbolt drive. I also tried from the desktop..same issue. It only seems to happen with the 12.1.1 ver. any older version of the software works fine. I can also see the files fine in the Sony XDCAM browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in this case, same routine I guess :

uninstall

run cc cleaner

reinstall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've run onto this in our systems as well. I've found that deleting the Media Cache folder (/Users/fcp/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common) and Media Cache Files folder and then importing the footage into a blank project works. It's a little more involved if you've already started editing with that footage.

Let me know if that works on your system, too. This problem has been driving us crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was having similar problem - except with Sony A7III .mov files. Initial import works fine. But when I re-opened project - 1/2 of all the camera files were offline. Re-linking them replaced the file with audio only.

My solution was to select the files that were audio only and use the "Make Offline.." drop down selection and then with the same clips highlighted use the "Link Media..." selection. Then the clip reverted to it's original format - video and audio.

Why do we need to do this Adobe? Fix this soon please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I will give it a try and let you all know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well my previously mentioned work-around worked a few times. Was missing one clip in my last edit and tried it and it didn't work.

Not sure what to try next except go back to 12.1. ?

What am I paying ADOBE for each month?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried one more thing - made a duplicate of the clip in finder and changed it's extension from .mp4 to .mov, imported it and that worked. Why all the other mp4 clips come in fine I'm not sure. All files were shot on the same camera, same set up - just different takes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've also found that renaming the containing folder and importing that usually works.

I think it must have something to do with Premiere creating bad cache files, and then when you import the renamed file or the file from a renamed folder it creates a new, correct, cache file for it. But that's just a guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So - I wonder what happens if we clean the cache files?  I'm not going to try it on this project but I may create a test project and try it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's worked some of the time on our systems - but I have cleared the cache and seen media still get messed up when opening a problematic project.

The workaround was to start a blank project and import the media into that. Then import that project into the problematic project.

It's ... insane.

I've been clearing the cache on the finder level which I think is more reliable - but removes the cache files for every project. So then I've found that if I go and open an old project that had been behaving just fine previously, it'll corrupt clips that had previously been fine.

To us it seems to happen most frequently on .MOVs from DSLRs, but we've seen it with EX1/EX3 .mp4s as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well thanks for all your inputs...I tried the clearing the cache, reimporting, deleting and importing..like one of you said half the files come in correct and other half still coming in audio only (Relinking did not work)..I must say..I can not believe Adobe let this thru without testing properly..I will just have to go down a version and wait..seems like the old Avid days..wait 6months then update.

Anyway thanks again all!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see a lot of posts with this issue and many with no response from Adobe.

I found with Mac OS 10.11 and the latest CC version that move mp4 files imported from one location but not from a backup location and vice versa. The last remaining file imported properly when moved it up  and out of a sub-folder. Just some observations and maybe not a solution but options...until Adobe addresses it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyone tried deleting your old 'video previews' and 'audio previews' ?

please do not confuse that with clearing media cache ... most crashes

occur because of old video previews not behaving properly with a new

version of the software ... try deleting them even if that will require rendering again

and let me know what happens please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried deleting preview files and media cache. The problem is also with files previously edited into a sequence now displaying as offline. This is a serious problem. Premiere no longer recognizes them as video files. Bad news when trying to finish a project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you update mac os to latest ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't update the OS since I'm on a Mac Pro 4.1. There are complicated ways but I just need to finish my project. Adobe throwing monkey wrenches in the works doesn't help with productivity. I went back to Premiere version 12.0 and my files came back online. The major reason for switching to Premiere was because it could handle any format. So much for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try also deleting your preview videos and audio previews in the 'Document' folder - Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines