• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make moving vignette?

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to make a vignette with an image rotating, but the best i could get was a black eclipse shape feathered in the middle of it. The only other thing that worked was to do it in photoshop and go frame by frame, but that takes way too long. Is there any easy way to go about this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to take a screenshot of what you're trying to achieve?

Are you saying you're wanting a specifically-shaped vignette?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to essentially remove the black from the image behind it, but keeping the same shape during the video itself. So the black would become a transparent part of the video, so I can place video files underneath, making the outer part the vignette, but keeping the rotation that it would be doing.

2018-04-27 15_59_41-How to make moving vignette_ _ Adobe Community.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it with the mask if this is how you want to work but you need to change the render order. If the video is animating it's transform properties but you want to keep the mask static you will need to precompose to change the render order. So, remove the mask first. Select the layer with the rotation and go to Layer > Precompose, choose to move all attributes into the new composition. Name it "rotated layer comp"

Now add the mask to the resulting nested "rotated layer comp". Invert the mask so that the edges are black and the middle is transparent. Adjust the opacity, blending modes and mask feather values till you get the result you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just set the masked and feathered solid as an inverted Alpha Track Matte for the footage layer. Nothing to it.

This is real basic AE compositing stuff. Make sure you spend some time on the basics of compositing, blend modes, track mattes, and masking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

if you want to control a mask separately than the source, an easy way to do that would be to use an Alpha matte. you create a solid layer and place it above your source layer in the layer stack, then go to the transfer/modes column and set the source layer alpha matte option to use the above layer as an inverted alpha matte.

now you can rotate the video and the mask will stay put. you can feather the mask of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what you mean when you say

BurritoNick  wrote

I've been trying to make a vignette with an image rotating,

An easy way to create a vignette is to create a black solid that's big enough to cover your entire comp, double click the elipse tool, change the mask property to Subtract to cut a hole in the middle, then press MM to reveal all mask properties and adjust the feather and mask expansion to get the dark edges you like. If you need to you can add some points to the mask and edit the shape.

Then you set the blend mode to multiply and adjust the opacity to get the look you want. if you want the mask to stay locked to a layer below you can make the underlying layer the parent, then rotate or move all you want and the vinyette effeect will stick to the layer.

Another fairly easy to apply a vignette stick to a layer is to apply Lumetry to the layer and use the vignette tools at the bottom of the effects control panel. The most efficient way depends entirely on your comp and the look you are trying to achieve. You've given us no details but I have given you two methods that will work. Here's a screenshot showing the two methods I described with everything you need to modify revealed.

vgnt 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good workflow tips by Rick. another way is to use the effect efficiently called "CC-Vignette" which is very nice too. place it on an adjustment layer and adjust the parameters as you like.

only Caveat is to be careful of areas of transparency, it will not perform well if the image or composite is not full frame opaque pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Roei pointed out, there are almost always multiple ways to create an effect. Many times just typing the name of the effect you want to apply in AE's search help field will give you some great ideas. It's at the top right corner of AE and I think it is one of the most underutilized tools in AE. I use it at least once a week to look for other ideas and new information. It's not perfect, but it's better than searching the web and much better than experimenting. The most efficient approach always depends on the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines