6 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2018 6:33 AM by JimHess

smart previews

cbassZ21

I am only an enthusiast and have the subscription for PSCC/ Lightroom classic. I share collections with family (on-line) and only need to store smart previews online . I have portable drives to work/save original (RAW) files. How do I keep only "smart previews" and not the original "RAW" file on Adobe cloud ? This just eats up space and I really don't need to save my files in this manner . I have tried to get service chat but , I am unable to stay on long enough (lunch hour chat) and this question what asked but, never answered. Can anyone out there help me ? Many thanks !

• 1. Re: smart previews
          dj_paige Level 10

As far as I know, Lightroom Classic CC does not store your originals online. It stores a smaller version of the photos online, not the originals.

• 2. Re: smart previews
            cbassZ21 Level 1

Thanks ! I have been subscribed since Adobe offered this system and only have some 3.5K photos. I just updated to "Classic" and see 19.97gb in cloud storage. I read that a "smart preview" is approx 1mb and 1000 smart previews should occupy 1gb . I'm thinking Adobe is up to no good with my files .

• 3. Re: smart previews
              dj_paige Level 10

I'm thinking Adobe is up to no good with my files .

I don't know why you think this, you haven't explained ... but if you really think this is true, then you need to get away from Adobe software as fast as you can, because you know those other companies that make photographic software would never do the same terrible things that you think Adobe is doing.

• 4. Re: smart previews
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is there any chance that you have also installed the new Lightroom CC (the cloud-based version) and have uploaded images directly to it? If you have done that, those images ARE uploaded directly to the cloud and occupy storage space in the cloud and count against your cloud allotment.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: smart previews
                  cbassZ21 Level 1

That has to be it . I updated Lightroom Classic CC (reluctantly) because I couldn't create a collection. That last collection placed me on the edge of the one terabyte fee. I've tried other programs but , you just can't beat PSCC/Lightroom Classic CC otherwise I would switch. I guess I'll have to make some time with the Adobe CS to see how I can have them removed. I just can't seem to find that info on-line. Thank you !

• 6. Re: smart previews
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What you'll have to do, is if you have Lightroom CC installed (the cloud-based version), open that program and determine what images you imported using that program. Those are the images that are using up your cloud space.

1 person found this helpful