5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2018 12:58 PM by AnandSri

When Redacting Adobe locks up

otps88101970 Level 1

I have a user who is attempting to redact a 1300 page pdf and when they go to remove text adobe locks up and goes into a not responding mode. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: When Redacting Adobe locks up
          AnandSri Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hello Otps,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. As per the description above, Acrobat is crashing when redacting a PDF, is that correct?

Please check for any pending updates of Acrobat from help>check for updates, reboot the machine after installing any updates and see if this brings any difference.

Also, try repairing the Acrobat from Help>repair Acrobat(only for Windows), reboot the machine after repairing the Acrobat.

Please run the text recognition tool once prior to making redaction and see if this fixes the issue.

Have you checked any other PDF file? If not, please try redacting any other PDF and see if this issue is reproducible.

Is it a Mac or Windows machine? What is the dot version of Acrobat installed? To identify refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: When Redacting Adobe locks up
            otps88101970 Level 1

I am not very familiar with Adobe where do I find the option to run text recognition tool?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: When Redacting Adobe locks up
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Depends on your exact version of Acrobat. If it's DC search the Tools panel for "Recognize text". It's under the Enhance Scans section.

Otherwise look under Tools - Text Recognition.

• 4. Re: When Redacting Adobe locks up
                otps88101970 Level 1

Unfortunately that did not resolve my issue the user is using acrobat 10 pro I ran the recognize text tool and after attempted to redact the file and ran into the same issue. any other ideas?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: When Redacting Adobe locks up
                  AnandSri Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hello Otps,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. Make sure that you have the latest update available for Acrobat 10 and reboot the machine after updating Acrobat 10.

Acrobat 10 is an old version and the security patches and updates are not available and due to this the suggestions shared may or may not work.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling and check. You may also try creating a test user profile with full admin rights and check. Is it specific to one PDF or Acrobat crash while redacting all the PDFs?

Let us know your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

2 people found this helpful