4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2009 7:49 PM by DC_Eric2

drop down menu over flash

seanmc81 Level 1
      I'm creating a spry drop down menu, and it drops down over a flash file. The drop down works, but over the flash it's kind of chopped up - - bits are missing, like they're hiding "behind" the flash. Is there some code or some method to avoid this?
        • 1. Re: drop down menu over flash
          Level 7
          All Active content on a page will always rise to the top, so to speak,
          including Flash, certain form elements, Java applets, and Active X controls.
          This means that each of these will poke through layers. There is not a good
          cross-browser/platform reliable way to solve this issue, but if you can be
          confident in your visitors using IE 5+ or NN6+, then you can use the Flash
          wmode parameter (however, Safari does not support this properly!).

PVII article:
          http://www.projectseven.com/support/answers.asp?id=127

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"seanmc81" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gk2he1$3fl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm creating a spry drop down menu, and it drops down over a flash file.
          > The
          > drop down works, but over the flash it's kind of chopped up - - bits are
          > missing, like they're hiding "behind" the flash. Is there some code or
          > some
          > method to avoid this?
          >

• 2. Re: drop down menu over flash
            ltartisel
            Sean, I commonly use a dhtml drop down navigation on my websites. Anytime I have flash below it, if I don't "fix" it, the menu hides behind the flash. Here's how I fix it:
            1. I insert the flash using Dreamweaver's Insert, Media, Flash menu. It creates the code.
            2. I then have a snippet that I insert just below the <param name="quality" value="high" />
            Here is the snippet you can create:
            <param name="wmode" value="opaque" />

3. then I take the ,'wmode','opaque' code and Cut it from there and place it above in the AC_FL_RunContent area just after 'quality','high'. So it ends up reading:
            'quality','high','wmode','opaque'

That's it. Essentially it gives it the code to hide it below other elements.

Good Luck. Post again if you have trouble.

Larry Tartisel
            www.altramarketing.com
            • 3. Re: drop down menu over flash
              seanmc81 Level 1
              Genius! Yep, that did it. Thanks for the suggestion ltartisel, and that was a helpful article Murray. "Opaque" did the trick. Thanks again guys

Sean
              • 4. Re: drop down menu over flash
                DC_Eric2 Level 1

I am having the same problem but I don't understand this part of your solution.

3. then I take the ,'wmode','opaque' code and Cut it from there and place it above in the AC_FL_RunContent area just after 'quality','high'. So it ends up reading:
                'quality','high','wmode','opaque'

I did a find on AC_FL_RunContent on my htm file and it doesn't even exist.